Student Assembly Describes Funding and Programming For Proposed Student Pub on Campus

The Student Assembly released a report detailing programming options for the proposed campus pub in the Ivy Room in Willard Straight Hall at a special meeting Tuesday.

The report details a potential for $35,000 in funding for the pub each academic year. The S.A. may vote on May 5 — after the administration makes its final decision on the pub — to provide funding for programming.

The report includes funding commitments from several groups on the committee, including the Cornell Concert Commission, CUTonight, the Cornell University Programming Board, the Class Councils, and the Greek Tri-Council, among others.

While S.A. members introduced and discussed the report, no vote was taken to endorse the plan. According to outgoing S.A. President Vincent Andrews ’11 — the only member of the late-night programming committee at the meeting — the S.A. is waiting for the approval of the University administration, including Vice President of Student and Academic Services Susan Murphy ’73,  to vote.

“As of right now, we are in a holding pattern for the administration,” Andrews said. “We are waiting on [Cornell] Dining to completely finalize their dining plan. Once that is complete, it still needs to be approved by Murphy.”

The idea for a pub was motivated by the absence of a location on campus for students of all ages to gather late at night, according to the report.

“The lack of a single consistent space in which organizations can put on these events, as well as the limitations of the existing campus spaces (no food or beverage service), restricts the ability of current late-night programming endeavors to draw a large number of students,” the report states.

Original Author: David Marten