16 People Arrested During Ithaca Police Warrant Sweep

The Ithaca Police Department conducted an evening warrant sweep on Thursday, arresting 16 people and serving 19 warrants, according to an IPD press release.

In an attempt to serve 87 outstanding warrants issued by the Ithaca City Court, Ithaca Police officers issued 14 bench warrants — warrants authorizing the immediate on site arrest of an individual — and four arrest warrants — which authorize the arrest and detention of a suspect, the release said. Ithaca City Court Judge James Kerrigan arraigned the defendants that were placed under arrest. Police rounded up people from three different counties during the sweep. Eleven of the arrests were made in Ithaca, while the rest were made in the neighboring towns of Cortland, Owego, Groton, Virgil and Trumansburg.The six defendants were remanded to the Tompkins County Jail were served warrants for offenses including fifth degree criminal possession of stolen property. Other alleged offenses included second degree harassment to seventh degree criminal possession of a controlled substance and unlawful possession of an alcoholic substance by a person under 21 years of age, according to the press release.The other ten defendants were released on their own recognizance or after posting bail.

Original Author: Utsav Rai