Women’s Tennis Beats Binghamton; Men Wrap Up Play at Blue-Gray

Over the weekend, the women’s tennis team toppled Binghamton (3-5), 6-1, winning its second straight match. Freshmen Gabby Sullivan, Sara Perelman and Rosemary Li, as well as junior Christine Ordway won each of their respective singles and doubles matches.

Cornell (6-2) began the match by sweeping the three doubles matches of the day. Junior Sarah O’Neil, who is ranked ninth in the Northeast Region by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, and Ordway combined at No. 1 and won their match, 9-8, in a tiebreaker.  Freshman Courtney Malinchak and Sullivan joined up at the No. 2 position and breezed to an 8-6 victory. The last pair comprised of Perelman and Li, who won their match at No. 3, 8-4, improving the pair’s record to 8-0 on the season.

Ordway (No. 2) and Perelman (No. 5) sailed to singles victories without dropping a game, before Li (No. 6) won her match in a straight-set win. Sophomore Ryann Young improved to 8-0 on the season, winning at No. 3. Sullivan (No. 4) also claimed the win in her match.

The Red returns to action for a Wednesday matchup against Army.

The men’s team (5-8) concluded its weekend trip to Montgomery, Ala. in defeat. Ranked 59th by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, Cornell fell to 49th-ranked Alabama with a 4-0 loss on Sunday at the Blue-Gray National Tennis Classic.

The Red dropped doubles matches at the Nos. 1 and 3 spots against the Crimson Tide, then split the singles matches, losing 4-0, as two matches did not finish.

On Saturday Cornell played back-to-back against No. 14 Auburn and No. 15 Missisippi State, but ultimately fell, 4-2 and 4-0, respectively.  Since matches were rescheduled for Saturday due to rain on Friday, the scoring format for Saturday was modified to play-to-decision.

After playing the last six consecutive matches away from Reis Tennis Center, the Red returns home  for a doubleheader on March 3 against Illinois State at 11 a.m., followed by Temple at 7 p.m.

Original Author: Lauren Ritter