M. Lacrosse Senior Attackman Named Ivy League Player of the Week

After recording two straight home victories to start the season, three Cornell players received Ivy League men’s lacrosse honors. Senior attackman Rob Pannell was named the Ivy League Player of the Week, freshman linemate Matt Donovan received Rookie of the Week and sophomore midfielder Doug Tesoriero was given a spot on the honor roll.Pannell, the reigning Ivy League and national Player of the Year, continued his dominance in the start of his final season playing for the Red. He scored six goals and tallied four assists in the team’s first win against Binghamton. Two of those goals were also the game-tying and go-ahead scores in the third quarter, as the Red came from behind for the 17-12 victory.Pannell’s 10-point game was the first by a Cornell player since 1995. He also became the 34th player in NCAA history to record 100 career goals and 100 assists. Adding to his record breaking start to the season, Pannell also had a goal and five assists in the Red’s 18-7 victory over Army on Saturday.Donovan proved that he deserved his spot in the starting lineup by scoring five goals and racking up three assists in the first two games. Following in the footsteps of linemate Pannell, Donovan’s six points against Army were the most by a Cornell freshman in a game since Pannell put up seven points against Binghamton in 2008.Tesoriero won 34 of 53 faceoffs in the first two games and also picked up a total of 20 ground balls. The Red will host Canisius next weekend at Schoellkopf.

Original Author: Scott Chiusano