SOFTBALL: Squad Splits Series at Mason Invitational

Trying to build momentum through the early days of the season, the Red returned to Fairfax, V.A. this weekend to split a pair of games, 1-1, at the Mason Invitational. This was the third weekend that the Red traveled down south to George Mason to play in a warmer weather climate. The record for the Red after three full weekends of game play remains even at 3-3.

On Saturday morning, the team overtook Hartford, 8-2, in a head to head with the Hawks that the Red blew open in the seventh inning to clinch the game.

However, the second game did not go as well and the Red fell to George Mason, 2-0, in the afternoon matchup.

“For now, since we have 20 games until Ivy season, we just want to focus on each game coming up because that is what will prepare us for the season,” said senior outfielder Katie Watts.

In the first game on Saturday, freshman pitcher Brittany Sutton earned her first collegiate win for the Red, after Cornell pushed through the top of the seventh inning by scoring seven runs. Sutton only allowed one run on seven hits to pick up the victory for the Red.

“What’s really great about our team is that we have so many people that we can depend on in tough situations,” Watts said. “I think our pitchers are going to be really important [for the rest of the season].”

Senior infielder Erin Keene also made a notable appearance for the Red as she blasted a grand slam with two outs in the seventh. Her bomb helped Cornell rally from a 2-1 deficit and put the team in the lead.

However, game two was a completely different story for the Red as the offense was silent. The team only collected four singles throughout the game. Losing the battle against Mason ruined the showing made by sophomore pitcher Alyson Onyon, who struck out six and allowed only six hits in 5.2 innings.

The Red came up fighting in the seventh, led by a single from junior outfielder/catcher Erin Belles. Sophomore outfielder/catcher Christina Villalon then reached on an error to put two runners on. After two quick outs, sophomore outfielder JJ Briggs singled to right field but the game was retired as Belles was thrown out at third.

Looking ahead to the rest of the season, the Red tries to maintain its focus to take the Ivy League Championship title back from its rival Harvard. According to Watts, the team also realizes that it has some challenges ahead from some tough competition, but Cornell seems confident in the bond and force that comes from the ladies on the team.

“We have such a great team dynamic and my goal is to win an Ivy League Championship [title],” she said.

Original Author: Haley Velasco