Cornell Wrestler Allegedly Threatened Woman With Long Gun

A member of the Cornell wrestling team allegedly entered a neighbor’s apartment and, in search of the neighbor’s roommate, threatened her with his long gun, Ithaca Police said Sunday. The woman was hiding from the wrestler in another part of the housing complex, according to police.Police said Warner Phipps ’12 is being charged with burglary, criminal menacing and criminal possession of a weapon. He reportedly broke into the apartment, which is located on Valentine Place, on Wednesday morning.Phipps was arrested on Saturday and arraigned in Ithaca City Court on Sunday. He was then remanded to the Tompkins County Jail, where his bail was set at $15,000, according to IPD. The police have since recovered the weapon allegedly used to threaten the woman.Phipps remained in jail as of late Sunday night, an officer at the jail said.Claudia Wheatley, director of University press relations, added that “there isn’t much to say at this point,” noting that the investigation is being conducted by the Ithaca police.Phipps is from Kearny, Neb., and is a two-time Nebraska state champion. He won a national Coca-Cola scholarship and was a member of the National Honor Society while in high school, according to the University.As a wrestler at Cornell, Phipps competed at the Mat Town Open in November 2011, where he defeated two wrestlers.

Original Author: Jeff Stein