SOFTBALL | Squad Fights to Stay Atop Ivy Standings

Following a doubleheader loss to Syracuse on Wednesday, the softball team looks to extend its lead in the Ivy League South Division this weekend. The Red (16-15, 7-1 Ivy League) will take on Columbia (9-22, 3-5) at Niemand-Robison Field in a four game series beginning Saturday afternoon. This weekend will mark both teams’ first games within the Southern division.

The winner of the last three South division titles, the Red is currently atop the conference table. Penn and Princeton are tied for second, while Columbia rounds out the bottom of the division. Despite the Lions’ standing, head coach Dick Blood believes they will nonetheless pose a significant challenge.

“Columbia is very athletic,” Blood said. “They’ve been running the bases well and have a good hitting average — they are all around a good ball club.”

Columbia is batting .259 as a team and has hit a total of six home runs. After losing two games to Harvard last Friday, Columbia swept Dartmouth in a doubleheader on Saturday to close out its play against the Ivy League North division.

Furthermore, senior captain Erin Keene says the four-game format will pose an additional challenge. The Red split its four-game series against Columbia in 2011, falling in both games on the second day.

Original Author: Gina Cargas