A Big Bowl of Awesomeness

Recreate a Collegetown classic in the comfort of your room!

This past Saturday morning I woke up after a long night out craving something… spicy. My first thought led me to That Burrito Place (TBP), but I stood in front of the counter wary of what to order. Knowing I was going to be eating outside amidst “frat bros” and other judging passersby, I decided a burrito was too messy and so I was introduced to The Bowl. You get your choice of rice, peppers and onions, beans, meat (chicken or steak), cheese, lettuce, salsa, sour cream and, for a small additional charge, guacamole. This monstrous amount of food is the same price as a burrito, but is much more satisfying with much less mess. The key is complimenting each of the flavors you choose. Following a staff member’s guidance and a bit of my own intuition, I chose Spanish rice, pinto beans, Southwest chicken, cheese, lettuce and an abundance of sour cream. After shoveling the last grains of rice down my throat, TBP has come to stand for The Best Pick.Make a quick trip to Wegman’s and you can recreate something similar at home with a twist!

Prep time: 5 min, Cook time: 25 minYield: 5 servings

IngredientsGoya Spanish Rice (Arroz con Tomate)Chicken (pre-cooked)Mexian (4-cheeses) cheeseSour CreamLettuceGuacamoleTostito’s Queso sauce (for an extra kick!)

DirectionsBoil 2 ¾ cups of water in a medium sauce pan. Add rice and 1 tablespoon of olive oil or butter. Stir and let boil for 1 minute. Cover tightly with lid and reduce to low heat. Cook for 25 minutes. Stir.Serve rice in a bowl. Layer on chicken, cheese. Proceed to add on however much guacamole and sour cream you want. Add a small amount of Queso sauce for some more spice.

Original Author: Danielle Diniz