FASHION FRIDAY: Festive Fashion

Summer is the season of white beaches, tan skin, and, quite truthfully, the return of sanity. As I sit in Stella’s trying to surreptitiously people-watch, I realize that almost everyone is wearing short sleeves. I can’t help but notice a correlation between this and happy attitudes. The frenetic energy that consumes Cornell seems to have diminished a bit. Yes, correlation doesn’t merit causation but one could definitely argue in favor of this. As the end date looms in sight, it’s time to decide what to lug from Cornell back home in your limited space of two suitcases after a year of online shopping. Trust me, the landscape of your clothing can change a lot in that time span.

It’s your chance to pause for a minute, relax, and breathe deeply. To relish in the simple pleasures in life, like boredom. Of course, it’s also time to enjoy life.

The sticky weather also brings an exorbitant amount of music festivals. Coachella just took place this past weekend and for the first time in history, was split into two weekends; this means both an influx of acts as well as fashionable attendees. Coachella is known not only for the amazing musical lineup it boasts yearly, but also for the fashion parade of celebrities and common people, flocking from all over the land to take part in the madness in California.

Dressing for festivals is tricky business. Depending on where you are, you need to consider the searing day heat as well as the cool summer nights. Your outfit has to provide you with enough coverage to first, protect you from wandering clunky feet that might stomp on yours and second, the disgustingly sweaty person that seems to be perpetually glued to your back. Your bag needs to be filled with the appropriate gear, yet you don’t want to be weighed down. To that effect, I propose some tips.

First of all, please limit nudity. I understand that it’s summer and extremely hot; however, this does not mean a bathing suit with a vest equals an acceptable outfit — because it doesn’t. I’m not saying to discard all bathing suits, just make it tasteful. See, this girl isn’t so bad:

Avoid this:

Also, I know maxi dresses and maxi skirts look good. I know. But, unless you want to stay on the outskirts of the crowd around the stage (seriously, who does that, though) or you have a VIP pass, then I suggest you don’t wear them. People will step on them. Instead, go with a mini skirt or dress with a streamlined fit. Furthermore, wearing bicycle shorts under them can only help. This way, you don’t have to hold down your dress when you’re jumping up and down.

Florence Welch has got it all wrong. Her outfit might be pretty, but it is completely impractical. However, she also has no need to worry about things like people stepping on her dress. Azealia Banks, I like your hair — rest of your outfit, not so much.

Instead, try something like this girl has on. Shorts are perfect for music festivals because you don’t have to worry about possible Marilyn Monroe moments, and they offer a fair bit of protection against the wandering hand:

Your bag should hold only the essentials: camera, water, sunscreen (!), solar cell phone charger (if you’re staying longer than one day), cellphone and wallet. Moreover, it should be a cross body. You need to have free hands so you can throw them in the air.

Once you get there, sit back and enjoy the show.

Eleni Konstantopoulos is a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences. She can be reached at [email protected]. Fashion Fridays appears Fridays.

Original Author: Eleni Konstantopoulos