Three Entrepreneurial ‘Legends’ Will Guide Growth of Tech Campus

Three of the nation’s most successful entrepreneurs will help guide the development of Cornell NYC Tech, the University announced on September 19. The experts will help shape the vision for the project by advising the administration on both academic programming and the physical shape of the new campus.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Irwin Jacobs ’54, co-founder of telecommunications giant Qualcomm, and Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt will provide “ongoing” guidance on a variety of topics important to the campus’ development. The group’s focus will include the relationship between Cornell NYC Tech and New York City, the creation of partnerships with tech firms, the commercialization of new technologies and the role of the local and global tech community, according to a University press release.

“New York City’s growing tech industry is about to be infused with new talent, thanks to the historic investments made by the City and Cornell for the new campus on Roosevelt Island,” Bloomberg said in a prepared statement. “Ensuring that the new campus is connected in the right way to the thriving entrepreneurial sector is important to delivering on the promise of economic growth that is at the center of this project. I look forward to advising the university leadership on how we can achieve these goals.”

Calling the three experts “legends” in tech entrepreneurship, President David Skorton said the group will help the campus achieve its promise of educating future generations of technological innovators and entrepreneurs.

“Our vision for Cornell NYC Tech is already bold, and Mayor Bloomberg, Dr. Schmidt and Dr. Jacobs are leaders who will raise the bar even higher,” Skorton said in a prepared statement. “We are committed to harnessing this extraordinary brainpower as we establish a center of technology leadership in the heart of New York City.”

Original Author: David Marten