Female Reports Attempted Rape Near Engineering Quad

The Cornell University Police Department is investigating an attempted rape that reportedly occurred on campus at 9:30 p.m. Wednesday.

A female victim said she was walking across the Trolley Bridge –– which connects Oak Avenue and the Engineering Quad –– when she was grabbed by an unknown male. The assailant then reportedly dragged the victim into a wooded area south of the bridge while making repeated threats that he was going to rape her, according to CUPD.

The victim said she struggled against her attacker until she was able to strike him in the face and then flee, according to CUPD. She did not report any injuries.

The perpetrator is described as a white male, about six feet tall, with dark hair. He “appeared to be in his late 30’s and was last seen wearing a dark suit jacket with light colored pants,” according to CUPD.

After the attack, the male fled in an unknown direction, CUPD reported.

On the morning of Sept. 2, another female victim reported that she was accosted and raped near the suspension bridge, north of the Arts Quad. She said she was grabbed from behind by an unknown male who forced her to have sexual intercourse, according to police. CUPD is still investigating the reported crime.

CUPD urges anyone with information about either crime to call its headquarters at 607-255-1111.

Original Author: Kerry Close