F. HOCKEY | Cornell Travels to Compete Against Hoyas, Spend Time With Alumni, Friends

Coming off of two straight wins, the field hockey team will travel to College Park, Md. to compete against Georgetown. The Red (3-6, 2-1 Ivy League) will face the Hoyas (2-10) on Sunday at 4 p.m. at the University of Maryland field hockey stadium.

The Red head into this game after beating Ivy League opponent Yale, as well as out-of-conference foe Siena the previous weekend. As the team hurtles along the second half of the season the momentum is building and a win on Sunday could put Cornell in great position to soon reach a winning record.

“We had some tough losses at the beginning of the season, but we’ve been able to come out with win’s the past three games and we want to continue this winning streak,” said junior goalie Carolyn Horner. “We really want to capitalize more and finish these games out so they  aren’t as close as they have been.”

One result of the previous weekend is that Horner has been named Ivy League Player of the Week after her solid contributions in the shutouts against Yale and Siena. Her presence in goal has been a strong and reassuring factor for the Red all year and she is expected to keep up the good play in goal against a Georgetown offense with some quality attackers.

“I was player of the week my sophomore year, but this second time is really special because the defense has really solidified for me to do that,” Horner said. “My reward is very reflective of how far the defense has come and its really reflective of our structure.”

While the Hoyas are coming off of a weekend in which they lost both games, they are still a force to be reckoned with on the field. On offense, the team is led by senior Annie Wilson who is spearheading the Hoyas with nine points for the team. Wilson is a shifty attacker who has been an integral part of the Hoyas’ offense since she joined.

In goal, the team is anchored by senior keeper Briana Pereira. Since her sophomore year Pereira has been the first-string goalkeeper for the Hoyas and provides a wealth of experience at the back of the field.

The team is coached by Tiffany Marsh, one of the youngest head coaches in college sports. Marsh graduated from the University of Maryland in 2006 after winning a national championship in field hockey as a senior, and brings a lot of valuable playing experience to Georgetown.

For those in the Washington, D.C. area over Fall Break, the Cornell Field Hockey Association will host a dinner on Saturday night for friends, family and alumni of the team.

“Cornell Field Hockey has a really strong alumni base and they really go above and beyond to make us feel at home wherever we are,” Horner said. “It’s really exciting when we get to share stories and talk to them about games.”

As the Red come closer and closer to the end of the season, every game becomes crucial to its efforts.

Original Author: Shayan Salam