Ithaca Police Officer Shot in West Hill While Chasing Suspect

Update: The suspect was caught at about 4:50 a.m. Friday morning, police said. Click here for more on the arrest.

An Ithaca Police officer was shot in the West Hill area at approximately 11 p.m. Thursday night while pursuing a suspect, according to police.

The officer was conscious and alert when he was transported to a medical center for treatment of his injuries, a statement from the city said.

After the officer attempted to pull over a reportedly stolen vehicle in West Hill, the driver got out of his car and fled on foot, according to the statement. The officer pursued the suspect in a brief chase. While approaching the suspect, the officer was shot, according to the statement.

The perpetrator was described as a black male of average height with a thin build and short hair. The suspect was wearing a gray sweatshirt and a shiny diamond earring and was carrying a black backpack at the time of the shooting, according to the statement.

Dozens of emergency responders, including state troopers and two helicopters, were on scene Thursday night and into early Friday morning. Police set up barricades in the morning on some streets in the area, blocking access to the West Village Apartments complex, and were searching the wooded area just off Route 96.

Original Author: Rebecca Harris