Cornell, Ithaca Spared Wrath of Sandy

Although Hurricane Sandy wreaked havoc upon much of the East Coast as it swept through the region early this week, Ithaca remained relatively untouched by the storm.

While the city canceled government meetings Monday and several local schools shut down, Cornell remained open and classes were in session Tuesday.

Public transportation closed in New York City. In Ithaca, however, TCAT buses operated on their normal schedules Monday and Tuesday, according to a TCAT press release.

“We’re pleased to say that Ithaca has once again been spared from the brunt of the storm,” Mayor Svante Myrick ’09 wrote on his Facebook.

Myrick added that “loss of electricity in the City was minimal.”

In anticipation of the storm, the City of Ithaca opened an Emergency Operations Center — staffed by members of the Ithaca Fire Department, Ithaca Police Department and Department of Public Works — on Monday, a city press release said.

As of 9 p.m. Monday, members of the IFD had responded to five incidents of tree limbs falling on wires, according to the press release.

At least 39 people in eight states were killed in the storm, according to The New York Times. Additionally, more than eight million homes were left without power.

In NYC, Weill Cornell Medical College  closed except for “essential services,” according to WCMC’s website. WCMC will resume operation Wednesday.

Original Author: Utsav Rai