Fashion Friday: “It Girls” to Inspire You

Some girls have a certain je ne sais quoi about them.  Remember that girl in an amazing outfit you saw walking down the street, or the one, over there, with the red lips sitting in the window of a café. Whoever it is, she always carries her outfit in such a way that always makes you stare as if you’re drawn to her by a magnetic force. But it’s more than her choice in clothing — it’s the way she walks or holds her cup of coffee. It’s the book in her hand, that black coat with the colorful scarf, the scent of her perfume, the sound of her boots on the sidewalk. That “thing” she possesses, you can’t quite put your finger on what it is exactly; you can’t give it a name. It’s simply “it.”Aaah yes, I’m talking about “it girls.”

Yes, that “it girl” with the shirt and pants combination that is so simple and effortless you could have thought of it yourself, buuuuut unfortunately you didn’t. Nonetheless, she imprints your mind and then serves as a source of fashion inspiration. The next time you’re dressing in the morning, her outfit will suddenly materialize in your mind, subtly influencing your choices. I think having that “it girl” who inspires your fashion choices is great. Over the years, I’ve collected quite a few, and I’ve noted my favorite below.

Alexa Chung: Ah, the impossibly beautiful and equally awesome Alexa. It doesn’t hurt that every time she opens her mouth, out pops a funny, sarcastic comment. She’s got the whole granny-meets-tomboy style with a dash of girliness down to a T. She manages to take schoolgirl silhouettes, like the Peter Pan collar, and transform them into elegant, adult outfits. Her recent collaboration with Madewell, and her position as contributing editor at British Vogue, have made her a household name and catapulted her into fame. Not to mention that every single interview I’ve watched of her has just reinforced my belief that she’s a cool person. There has also been a NY Times article written about her. If you want to see what I’m talking about, check out this tumblr chock-full of pictures of her.

Poppy and Cara Delevigne: Great genes definitely run in this family — both Poppy and Cara are models, the former having modeled for retail store Mango and the latter currently the face of Burberry Beauty. However, both sisters have recently become recognized for their effortless and minimal style. Poppy is known for her classic, feminine outfits with a twist; her ensembles often feature flowy dresses with boots. Her younger sister, Cara, has an edgier look; her clothing combos are simple with unexpected touches like headbands. Take a look at some pictures of Poppy right here and of Cara here.

Georgia May Jagger: Daughter of Mick Jagger and former model Jerry Hall, Georgia definitely inherited her father’s famous mouth and her mother’s long blonde hair. Her muse-worthy style has been photographed a million times as she’s risen through the ranks in the fashion world. She currently works as model, following in her mother’s footsteps; she’s been photographed by the likes of Terry Richardson, Mario Sorrenti and Patric Demarchelier. True to her roots, her rock ’n’ roll style favors tight skirts with tough motorcycle boots, as well as more tailored, feminine pieces. You can check out some pictures at this tumblr dedicated to all things Georgia.

Yup, that about sums up my four fashion inspirations. Honorable mentions must go to Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, the Courtin-Clarins sisters, Harley Viera-Newton and Julia Restoin Roitfeld. These are the girls who appear in all the blogs I read and inspire me every day in my fashion choices. Lemme know who inspire you!

Eleni Konstantopoulos is a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences. She can be reached at [email protected]. Fashion Fridays appears every Friday this semester.

Original Author: Eleni Konstantopoulos