Slew of Crimes Plagues Ithaca

There was a slew of crimes —  including a robbery, several attempted robberies and multiple stabbings — reported in Ithaca between Sunday evening and Monday afternoon.

Most recently, Ithaca police responded to the second stabbing incident in less than 24 hours.

At 12:55 p.m. on Monday, Ithaca resident Nakia J. Alexander, 38, was stabbed in a residence on West Buffalo St. He was flown to a local trauma center for further treatment, but there is not yet word on his health status, according to the Ithaca Police Department.

Ithaca police are investigating the incident.

At 7:48 p.m. Sunday, police also responded to reports of a stabbing in the parking lot of Wal-Mart. A 58-year-old woman was found in a car with a knife penetrating her stomach. The injuries were later determined to be self-inflicted, police said.

Following two attempted robberies and a robbery that reportedly occurred on Sunday and Monday, Ithaca police also arrested a husband and wife early Monday morning.

At 6:36 p.m. on Sunday evening, Troy Kastenhuber, 44 attempted to rob the Byrne Dairy on North Meadow Street at knifepoint, but fled the scene without obtaining any money, according to a press release filed by the Ithaca Police Department.

Minutes later, at 6:51 p.m., Kastenhuber successfully robbed the Citgo Gas Station on North Fulton Street. After displaying a knife, he fled the scene with an undisclosed amount of cash, according to IPD.

While IPD were tracking down Troy Kastenhuber, they also detained his wife, Wendy Kastenhuber, 39, in connection with another attempted robbery at knifepoint just hours later.

At 2:47 a.m. on Monday morning, Wendy Kastenhuber allegedly drew a knife at the Tops Market store on North Triphammer Road, demanding money and cigarettes from a female employee, police said.

Troy Kastenhuber was arraigned in court and sent to Tomkins County jail without bail, where his wife Wendy is currently being held pending arraignment.

Original Author: Harrison Okin