M. HOCKEY | Iles Shutout Ends During Last Minute of Play, Red Ties Dartmouth

The men’s hockey team was able to stop the recent bleeding and earn a tie against rival Dartmouth. The Red (3-3-2, 1-3-2 ECAC) had the lead with under a minute remaining in Saturday night’s game, but the Big Green (5-1-2, 4-1-1 ECAC) scored the equalizer with 51.4 seconds and earned a 1-1 tie. “It was a little frustrating to watch tonight’s game,” said head coach Mike Schafer ’86. “We did a good job creating the chances to score, but it is just a matter of finishing in the back of net.”Junior forward Dustin Mowrey scored the Red’s only goal at 9:41 in the third period off assists from sophomore forward Brian Ferlin and senior forward and tri-captain Erik Axell. Dartmouth’s only goal came immediately after they pulled their goalie under a minute in the third. Prior to that goal, junior goaltender Andy Iles had 24 saves and a shutout.“We have to win different during the regular season,” Shafer said. “You have to be pretty good defensively and I think we were able to accomplish that tonight.”The Red had 27 total shots, including seven in the overtime period. Both Mowrey and sophomore forward Joel Lowry had four shots apiece. “Frustrating is definitely the word for tonight,” said senior forward Greg Miller. “I think it is just a mindset of finishing because we have the chances, but we just have to bear down and put it in the back of the net.”Mowrey also echoed his teammate’s frustration, but added that they are turning the corner. Miller said that they were also turning the ship in the right direction.“Goals will come and we are pretty confident that they will happen,” Miller said. “You do not want to rush the shot, but sometimes it just has to be a judgment call as to when you have to shoot it.”Schafer agreed with his players on the team’s recent struggles.“Teams go through this at different times of the year.” he said. “You definitely don’t want to go through this at the end of the year. So we just have to have a consistent work ethic and remain solid defensively.”

Original Author: Scott Eckl