WOMEN’S ICE | Women’s Hockey Defeats Conference Foes

The final games of 2012 and the first of 2013 came in hostile territory for the women’s hockey team. However, the Red was able to come away with a 2-2 record against tough ECAC rivals. No. 4 Cornell (14-4, 10-2 ECAC) played two opponents ranked within the Top-10 nationally: No. 7 Clarkson (18-6, 10-2) on Nov. 30 and No. 3 Boston College (17-4-2, 10-2-1) on Jan. 13. Both of those matchups ended in losses for the Red, but the team was able to bounce back and defeat conference rival St. Lawrence (13-9-2, 7-4-1 ECAC) on Dec. 1 and Northeastern (12-9-2, 6-6-1) on Jan. 12.

The 4-2 victory against St. Lawrence was perhaps the team’s most impressive win on the road trip. The squad came up against a tough ECAC foe and was able to kill nine penalties and block 18 shots. Junior forward Jessica Campbell had the eventual game-winning goal in the third period and added an assist for three total points on the day. Junior goaltender Lauren Slebodnick recorded 22 saves in the win.

Cornell’s subsequent 4-2 victory came against Northeastern in its first game of 2013. Cornell was trailing 2-1 in the second period, but was able to score three unanswered goals for the win. Campbell was again the star of the show, scoring two goals. Junior forward Brianne Jenner and freshman defenseman Cassandra Poudrier both recorded two assists in the contest. Slebodnick made 25 saves in the matchup.

In Nov. 30’s contest against Clarkson, the Knights scored the tie-breaking goal on the power play at 12:03 in the third period. Senior captain and defenseman Lauriane Rougeau scored the Red’s only goal.

“Against Clarkson we put pucks on net, possessed the puck in their zone and applied a lot of pressure,” Rougeau said. “But we still have some work to do and we need to continue to focus on the details.”

The Red’s toughest loss of the road trip was at Boston College as the Eagles scored the equalizer with 43.3 seconds left in the third period and won the game 1:31 into overtime. Sophomore forward Monika Leck scored what could have been the game-winning goal at 18:21 in the second period, but it was not to be.

“We came out flat and were a step behind them in the first ten minutes,” Rougeau said. “We learned from that game that we have to play for 60 minutes the same way…we cannot be up by a goal and play not to lose.”

Since the overtime loss, however, the Red has won three straight games and looks to make a run at the ECAC title.  period. Senior captain and defenseman Lauriane Rougeau scored the Red’s only goal.

Since the overtime loss, however, the Red has won three straight games and looks to make a run at the ECAC title.

Original Author: Scott Eckl