WOMEN’S ICE HOCKEY | Derraugh Becomes Winningest C.U. Ice Hockey Coach

Lynah was buzzing Tuesday night as the women’s ice hockey team took on Mercyhurst at 7 p.m. With the game ending in a 4-0 win, head coach Doug Derraugh became the winningest coach in Cornell’s women’s ice hockey history. Currently, he stands at 136 wins — one more than Cornell’s first ever head coach Bill Duthie. “If you stay in it long enough, you’re bound to get there eventually,” Derraugh said in a statement. “But I’m very, very blessed to be in a situation where … the administrators really supported women’s ice hockey here at Cornell.”The action began when junior defensemen Hayleigh Cudmore grabbed a goal thanks to a pass from sophomore forward Jillian Saulnier, putting the Red up 1-0.Junior forward Brianne Jenner scored two goals in the first shortly afterward. For the second goal, Jenner deflected the puck off of her shin pad and went the other direction on a breakaway. She used her skills and slapped a backhand around a Mercyhurst defender and the Red went up, 2-0. For the third goal, Jenner took a pass from senior defensemen Laura Fortino, shot at the Lakers’ goalie which rolled over the goal line and gave the Red its third goal for the day. The goal for Jenner marked her 150th of her career and Fortino earned her 93rd career assist and is No. 5 on Cornell’s all-time list for assists.Junior forward Jessica Campbell had a goal in the third period —  scoring the Red’s fourth point of the night — and the Red took home the shutout thanks to some assistance from freshman forward Taylor Woods and junior defenseman Alyssa Gagliardi.“I was real happy with the way our team played,” Derraugh said. “It was good to see us get off to a good start [and to] come ready to play.”Junior goalie Lauren Slebdonick grabbed her third shutout this season with 18 saves in total during the game. The “W” puts her at 41 for her career, tying her with Alanna Hayes ’99 for the third winningest goalie in all of Cornell history.The win for the Red is the team’s second straight over Mercyhurst and kept the team at a perfect 10-0 at Lynah for the season.  Cornell returns to Lynah Friday, when the team will face off against Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute at 7 p.m. in its first game of the Do It For Daron Series for charity. Fans are being encouraged to wear purple to help support the charity, which focuses on raising awareness and creating conversation about youth mental health.

Original Author: Haley Velasco