Arts Around Ithaca (Week of Feb 25)

Ambassadors Thursday at 9 p.m. at The Haunt

The Ambassadors are bringing their R&B and gospel-tinged rock sound to The Haunt this week.  Ithaca natives Noah Feldshuh and brothers Sam and Casey Harris, along with Adam Levin, released their debut album Litost in January 2012 and were featured at Lollapalooza this past summer.  Drawing on music that ranges from anthemic to groovy, Ambassadors are influenced by everyone from The Stooges to George Harrison. Be sure to check out this up-and-coming act. — Laura Boland ’15

Broken Chains Friday at 9 p.m. and Sunday at 3 p.m. at Risley TheaterThe life of St. Peter rendered through hip-hop? Thats right. Risley Theater is staging a “gospel hip-hopera” about the life of St. Peter in affiliation with the 36th Annual Festival of Black Gospel in Ithaca this weekend. In addition to this unique concept, the performance will feature live gospel singing, slam poetry, gospel, steep pan and West African drum. In addition Prof. Patrick Gray, Ithaca College, English, will present the music he co-wrote while at the Yale School of Music. — Meredith Joyce ’13

Pentatonix Monday at 8 p.m. at State TheatreIf you think you’ve heard Gangam Style enough for a lifetime, then you are clearly mistaken. Tonight, a capella phenomenon Pentatonix will take on Psy’s hottest pop song and many other hits, all without instruments, in a stunning presentation of the power of the human voice. The winners of Season 3 of The Sing-Off, the Pentatonix have become a quintet-force in music, re-developing pop songs into incredibly catchy a capella routines. We challenge you not to stand up in the theater and sing along as they dazzle their way through your favorite songs. — Gabrielle Velkes ’16

Original Author: Sun Staff