SQUASH | Squash Finishes at Individual Championships

The 2013 squash season officially came to a close on Sunday upon the completion of the Individual Championships, which were held at Trinity College in Hartford, Conn. Representing the Cornell men’s team were senior co-captains Nick Sachvie and Owen Butler, as well as sophomores Michael Sunderland and Ryan Todd. Senior co-captains Maggie Remsen and Jaime Laird, sophomores Lindsay Seginson and Danielle Letourneau and junior Jesse Pacheco represented the Cornell women’s team.For both the men and women, the tournament is divided into two separate draws: the first (called the Pool Division for men and the Ramsay Division for women) comprised of the top 32 players, the second (the men’s Molloy Division and the women’s Holleran Division) with the next 48 players.Both Sachvie and Letourneau advanced to the quarterfinals in the ‘A’ draw of the men and women’s brackets, respectively. With these top eight finishes, both players will qualify for first-team All-American.Ryan Todd, playing in the Molloy Division, proved to be the final member of the Cornell team standing. Todd advanced to the finals of the second round consolation before falling in a four game loss to Trinity’s Zayed Elshorfy, seeded fourth in the overall bracket.When asked about the results of this weekend’s tournaments, Sachvie said he was very pleased with how well the nine members of the Cornell teams competing at Individuals played.“Coming to the end of the season, everyone is pretty drained from such a heavy schedule, but everyone really stepped up and did well at Individuals. A few of us had some tough draws, but overall we did better at individuals this year than we did last year,” Sachvie said.The Cornell squash teams will graduate seven players this year: Sydney Chirls, Lexi Glassman, Jaime Laird, and Maggie Remsen from the women’s team as well as Owen Butler, Arjun Gupta and Nick Sachvie from the men’s team.“On behalf of all the seniors, I’d like to thank Coaches Mark and Julee Devoy for a great season and a great past few years with the program,” Sachvie said. “We owe a lot of our success to such supportive coaches and a great team environment.”

Original Author: Katie Schubauer