Cornell Approves $1,945 Hike in Undergraduate Tuition for 2013-14

Cornell undergraduates will pay $1,945 more in tuition in the 2013-14 academic year, the University announced Friday.

The hike in tuition rates, which was approved by the Board of Trustees, raises tuition from $43,185 to $45,130 for students in the endowed colleges and out-of-state students in the contract colleges. After factoring in the cost of room and board and mandatory fees, those students will pay a total of $58,987 — compared to this year’s $57,042 — for the academic year.

In contrast, in the 2009-10 academic year, the overall cost of attendance for endowed colleges students was $50,114.

New York state residents in the contract colleges will see their tuition rates rise from $27,045 to $28,990. Their total cost of attendance will be $42,847, up from this year’s $40,902.

Although the tuition hikes will not affect graduate students, students enrolled in Cornell’s professional schools — the Johnson Graduate School of Management, Cornell Law School and the College of Veterinary Medicine — will also be hit by the tuition increase, according to the University.

Elmira Mangum, vice president for planning and budget, said in a University press release that the University is not increasing student housing and dining rates, student fees or tuition for research degrees for the next academic year.

Check back on Sunday for an update on this story.

Original Author: Akane Otani