Simple Veggie Snacks: Go Green and Get Going!

Since our return to Ithaca after a much-needed vacation, the sun has been out more than usual. Now, I’m not pretending the weather we’ve been having can be considered great, but in comparison to the daily blizzards faced prior to break, I’ll take it. Along with the improved weather, we have seen an increase in the number of daylight hours and a warming of the temperature. What does this really mean for all of you? It won’t be eerily pitch black when you leave Olin at, like, 5 p.m., and you can make the return to iced coffee! Hallelujah!

If you’re like me, though, you may have gotten used to hibernating. I’m ashamed to say I have been sleeping in an extra hour or so, and then consequently consuming copious amounts of black coffee to speed up my morning routine. While I’m still up by 8 a.m. at the latest (sickening, I know), I feel a change needs to be made as I advance into the second half of this semester. No, the amount of coffee will not be reduced, but a healthier source of energy might be a smart addition to my routine. Therefore, I will be going green, with an eclectic and scrumptious smoothie that is sure to get me going in the morning, but could also easily energize me any afternoon. Oh, and the fact that it’s served cool makes it the perfect refreshment for the “warmer” (or simply non-freezing) days to come.

Green Super Smoothie

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon ground flaxseed or chia seeds (which don’t need to be ground)

1/4 cup orange juice

1 cup of chopped kale (spinach works fine, too)

1/4 cup of water

~6 ice cubes

1 medium banana

1 chopped apple

Directions:

1. Chop bananas, apples and kale separately.

2. Place all ingredients in blender.

3. Pulse until smooth, then pour into a glass and drink up!

This is such a simple recipe with incredible benefits. You’ll take in a healthy serving of carbohydrates, several servings of fruit and a healthy dose of fiber. Chances are, you’ll also feel really energized and alert, too, which equals success in my book. I mean, you can’t get that A or run that mile or, like … make it out to Pixel (primary goal) if you’re sleepy and lethargic! So steal that fruit from the dining halls, hit up Wegmans (the holy grail) for the rest of the ingredients and brace yourself for a necessary (and delicious) boost towards a better you.

Original Author: Meghan Flynn