MEN’S LACROSSE | Laxers Aim for Fourth Ivy Win

After winning its last three games, including a 16-point blowout over Dartmouth on March 30, the men’s lacrosse team is set to take on Harvard in Cambridge, Ma., on Saturday.

No. 2 Cornell (9-1, 3-0) remains the only team undefeated in Ivy play, while Harvard (4-5, 1-1 Ivy) is tied for third in the league.

According to senior midfielder Connor English, who scored three goals against Dartmouth, the Red has picked up momentum going into its next few games.

“[The Dartmouth game] was really great for us, especially on senior day. … It just gives us that extra level of confidence,” he said.

Redshirt senior Rob Pannell also said that Sunday’s game was great for the Red’s momentum. He was particularly enthusiastic about the contribution from the team’s bench on a day in which 14 Red players scored at least one point.

“To reward [our bench players] by getting them in the game on game day is great for team morale and its great for them,” he said.

Despite the Red’s surge in offensive production and defensive efficiency, the team is wary of Harvard’s skilled team and sense of urgency.

“We know they’re going to give us their best punch,” English said. “They just came off a really tough game against Duke where they kept it close.”

In Harvard’s game against the Blue Devils, No. 9 Duke never led the Crimson by more than two goals and won the contest by just one goal, 12-11.

According to Pannell, Harvard is in need of a win to keep its post-season hopes alive, so the Red needs to be prepared for a well-executed game from the Crimson.

“Their playoff chances are at stake here, so this is a must win game for them and we have to know that they’re going to give us our best shot,” he said. “[We need to] prepare for them like they’re the No. 1 team in the nation.”

The Red has won its last 15 games against the Crimson and is 63-23 in the all-time series.

While the Red is in good position to win the Ivy League, the team is chasing an even bigger milestone.

“One of our goals is to go undefeated in the Ivy League,” he said. “[We] can’t afford to lose any Ivy League game.”

After facing Harvard, the Red will travel to the Carrier Dome to take on No. 8 Syracuse — a contest that will be nationally televised on ESPNU.

“That’s always a great exciting game,” said English. “ … We’re going to be going to a hostile environment … but we’re looking forward to it.”

Original Author: Skyler Dale