Mixology: The Classiest of Drinking Games

Social drinking is better than solo drinking, unless you are in a rush and need to shower. In that situation, social drinking gets a bit confusing and certainly diluted. In all other locations, social drinking is definitely the way to go. Whether this is at a bar, a barbecue, a party or a pregame, drinking with friends is infinitely healthier than drinking alone.

Some of us, however, may be downright fed up with the monotony of Barton’s, cranberry juice, Kendrick Lamar, beer pong and Rulloff’s (in that order). Lucky for all of us, there is a much better alternative! Although, I can hardly say that I’ll ever not be at Rulloff’s, especially when Kevin is on the schedule.

This new age drinking method I am about to share with you is not entirely my idea. It is mostly inspired by the tasting logs in FDSC 4300: Understanding Beer and Wines, and my frequent choice to opt for a flight of wine or beer in place of a single drink at restaurants. Disclaimer aside, I fully support the following alternative to traditional social drinking.

Okay, brace yourself.

Next time you and some friends decide to hit the city (or Collegetown), make sure that each person contributes a different beverage for the pregame. It’s that simple! Now this does not mean one person brings rum, another Coke and a third ice. Stick to a theme here, subsequently enabling you to repeat this activity night after night. Maybe, everyone can bring a different type of wine. An instant wine tasting!

A perfect see, swirl, smell, sip and swallow will lead to a never-ending conversation, especially after the vast knowledge obtained in Hotelie Wines, right? Maybe not. Either way, sharing and discussing different beverages of the same general variety will help you understand what you like or not, and maybe introduce you to something you would not have purchased on your own.

My favorite way to do this is by setting up a glass for each person, then slowly going through the different options, one by one. Alternatively, you could give each person multiple glasses, pour out all samples and dive in. This method will undoubtedly present the problem of one eager person draining each sample before the discussion even begins. So it goes.

Before you write this off as some over-thought food science experiment that completely detracts from the organic magic of a simple pregame accompanied by Top 40 melodies, try it out. It can be as formal as you want. For example, each person could bring along their favorite Spanish reds. Alternatively, a sampling of light American beers could be equally as fun. Go forth! Expand your knowledge and palate while comfortably numbing your nerves in anticipation of the pain of “Sweet Caroline” on repeat at Dunbar’s.

Original Author: Sarah McKeen