A Spoon and a Pint of Ben & Jerry’s

I honestly don’t think that I’ve ever heard of anyone in my entire life who didn’t like ice cream. I’m sure ice cream haters exist, but they’re definitely not plentiful. How can you hate something that tastes so delicious and is so wonderfully perfect in any situation and place? For dessert or snack, late at night or after a breakup, a spoon and a pint of Ben and Jerry’s never fails to make life just a little bit better.

My appreciation for ice cream and the promise of free ice cream prompted me to attend the Hillel sponsored lecture a few weeks ago by Jerry Greenfield, co-founder of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream. What struck me the most about Jerry’s story was that prior to opening their business the two didn’t have any real experience making ice cream or running a business. They went out on a limb, took a correspondence course, and went on to create one of America’s most beloved ice cream brands. While their success can be attributed to their innovative spirit, perseverance and company values, the bold and unconventional flavors that Ben and Jerry’s carry definitely don’t hurt. Ben & Jerry’s ice cream names make me stop and go “whaaatttt” as I’m walking down the freezer isle at the grocery (Karamal Sutra anyone?). Once you get past the names, the  crazy ice creams just make sense. I take a big bite and I’m like, “Why didn’t anyone else think of this?” You just don’t get that from other store brands.

So I’m not gonna beat around the bush. This blog is and has been all along an excuse to stuff my face with ice cream. No shame. After buying a few pints, here are my thoughts on some of Ben and Jerry’s finest flavors.

Chubby Hubby

Vanilla malt ice cream with peanuty fudge covered pretzels with fudge and peanut buttery swirls.

Chubby Hubby is hands down my all time favorite Ben and Jerry’s flavor. The first bite is an explosion of genius, and every bite after comes super close. The peanut butter is not overwhelming even though you get a good bit with every spoonful, and the peanuty fudge covered pretzels are crunchy and a little salty, which accentuates the vanilla ice cream. Chubby Hubby almost feels like eating a Reese’s or a Take Five chocolate bar, trail mix and ice cream all at once. It’s like a little snack. As my roommate, who isn’t a fan of peanut butter exclaimed, “This is peanut butter done right.” Amen, sistah.

Half Baked

Chocolate and vanilla ice creams with fudge brownies and gobs of chocolate chip cookie dough.

You can never go wrong with chocolate or vanilla, or in this case both.  It’s even better with a generous serving of of brownie and chocolate chip cookie dough mixed in.  In honor of a certain recent “holiday,” I had to buy a pint of Half Baked Ben and Jerry’s to celebrate. The marble swirl of chocolate and vanilla ice cream, chewiness of the yummy cookie dough and bits of brownie hit home for me every time.

Cherry Garcia

Cherry ice cream with cherries and fudge flakes.

There’s no surprise that this classic Ben & Jerry’s flavor, named after Grateful Dead frontman Jerry Garcia, continues to be its best seller. Every time I get it, I expect a lot (maybe a little too much) of cherry, but the juicy pieces of cherry never overpower the other ingredients. Moreover, the cherry ice cream is not overly sweet. The combination is a classic and there’s definitely a generous distribution of chocolate mixed in. Cherry Garcia is safe, but not too safe, exciting, but not too exciting.

Original Author: by Kay Xiao