SOFTBALL | Red Prepares to Take Tigers

This coming weekend, the Cornell softball team looks to improve upon division standings in a four game series against Ivy League rival Princeton University. The Red will play Princeton at home at the Niemand Robison Softball Field at 12:30 pm on Saturday. The women’s softball team looks to continue to improve upon its current record (17-23, 7-9 Ivy) against Princeton this weekend and close the season out with a 25-23 record.The team will honor its seniors Erin Belles (.302 hitter, 17 homeruns, 49 RBI in 115 games) and Kristen Towne’s (.316 in 169 games) extremely successful four-year careers with the Red this coming weekend. Both look to close out their fourth incredible season with the Red and look to have four late season Ivy League wins. The Red looks to continue to build upon its success and close out the regular season on a high note.Currently, the Red has a team batting average of .298, with six hitters hitting .310 or better. Furthermore, Cornell has extremely strong pitching from junior Alyson Onyon (12-14, 3.98 ERA in 24 Starts) and freshman Meg Parker (2-6, 6.05 ERA in eight Starts), and looks to utilize them in these final season games. “We feel confident. Princeton always puts up a good fight but as the season goes on, we keep improving,” junior infielder/outfielder Lauren Bucolo said. “We have had our ups and downs but we have worked so hard. Every Ivy League team has a lot of talent, and so there is never an “easy” game. This entire season, we have been aggressive and never given up, and I think this will make us even stronger next year.” The Red looks to continue to fight throughout the rest of their season. The Red looks to continue to have success in the field in the next couple of series. Although the Red has had “ups and downs,” the team looks to continue with the current upward trend against Princeton this weekend. Although Princeton (24-18, 9-7) is only four games behind the University of Pennsylvania and looks to make a push for first this coming weekend, the Red looks to end Princeton’s hopes for late season success.“It is upsetting that we will not be making it to the championship this season, but we have 10 games left in the next seven days and are excited to finish out the season strong,” Onyon said.

Original Author: John McGrorty