WOMEN’S LACROSSE | Laxers Claim Victory in Back-and-Forth Game

The Red finished its season with a thrilling 18-17 victory over the Boston University Terriers Saturday afternoon for a Senior Day win. Cornell (10-5, 4-3) scored a season-high 18 points during the game, which featured nine lead changes and nine ties. The Red sealed the deal with 2:21 left in the second half when sophomore attacker Lindsay Toppe netted her 47th goal of the season, moving her to second on the single-season Cornell record book.

“The game was a really fun one to play because everyone brought so much energy to it, and there was a lot of really good hustle all over the field,” senior attacker and captain Caroline Salisbury said. “Everyone really trusted each other and worked together on the field, and it was really a team effort.”

Salisbury scored three and won eight draws to break Cornell’s record for draw controls in a single season with 48. Toppe added four goals and junior attacker Rachel Moody scored five. Freshman attacker Emily Tripodi broke Cornell’s record for assists in a single season with her six assists Saturday, giving her 36 on the season, two more than the previous record.

“Moody really stepped up, putting in five goals and having some great plays on the crease with Tripodi, which was really exciting,” Salisbury said. “As seniors, we knew going in that we wanted to end our careers on Schoellkopf on a high note and with no regrets, and so it felt awesome to be able to achieve that with the victory.”

The women’s season did not end Saturday, however. The team has a date with Penn this Friday in the semifinals of the Ivy League Tournament. The Red will travel to Philadelphia to play the No.16 Quakers.

“The win [on Saturday] also was really important as we head into the playoffs where every game is going to be a real battle,” Salisbury said. “It helps to have the momentum and confidence going in that we can win those close games.”

Original Author: Scott Eckl