Simple Veggie Snacks: Homemade Hummus for the Homestretch

The semester is drawing to a close, and you know what this means: exams, formals, Slope Day, etc. It also means this is my last snack blog of the year! I know, I know, I’m pretty emotional about it, too. But don’t you dare reach for that comforting container of Ben & Jerry’s; we’re going to get through this together (the healthy way!). This time of year, it is especially easy to fall into bad habits. Studying and / or partying seem to dominate one’s schedule, so meals and snacks are an after-thought (that after-thought is usually fast, fried and / or consumed drunkenly around 3 a.m.). Then suddenly it’s summer vacation, and you’ve not only gained bad habits, but you’ve also gained more weight than you’d like to show off at the beach. So let’s avoid that here and now, and vow to try to take good care of ourselves physically even if finals might (or will) make us mental patients. This final week (tear, tear) I bring to you a recipe for a snack I know you all love, because I know that humans read my blog and all humans love hummus. If you are reading this and you don’t love hummus, congratulations, you’re the first animal that is capable of literacy. Cheers! But in all seriousness, homemade hummus is incredibly easy, goes well with everything from vegetables to (whole wheat) pita chips and lacks any artificial flavorings or ingredients that could be in a store-bought brand. Plus, you can impress family and friends alike at barbecues or poolside with your hummus-spread making skills. Who needs to know how easy it really is?(Basic) Homemade HummusIngredients:1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)

2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1 garlic clove

2 tbsp parsley

1-2 tbsp of lemon juice

Directions:1. Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until creamy and smooth.2. Eat your heart out.Yes, this recipe is so easy that there is literally one direction (eating doesn’t count. I just felt lazy only writing one direction). BUT there are so many varieties of hummus you can make that you’ll never get bored, and thus never resort to some other unhealthier dip or spread, like Nutella. Leave Nutella for Columbia students; this Ivy prefers healthier alternatives. Add a few tablespoons of sundried tomatoes into the mix, and voila! Homemade sundried tomato hummus. Like artichokes? How about adding a can of artichoke hearts, plus two tablespoons of tahini for a delicious artichoke hummus dip? Experiment, eat and enjoy this guilt-less snack and have a happy, healthy, (veggie) snack-filled summer!

Original Author: Meghan Flynn