BASEBALL | Baseball Finishes Season

The final weekend of regular season play came with an away doubleheader against Princeton on Friday and a home doubleheader on Sunday. In the first game of the series, the Red took down the Tigers, 4-2. The action came in the third inning when junior Ryan Plantier started with a solo homerun to left field — his second homer of the week and the third of the season. The rest of the action came with two outs, as junior Chris Cruz knocked out a single which put sophomore J.D. Whetsel into scoring position. Tom D’Alessandro snatched a walk and junior Spenser Souza knocked a single up the center, which scored two.Cornell sophomore Nick Busto was credited with the win with 5.2 innings. The Tigers were only able to break Busto’s shutout in the sixth inning with one run but scored again in the seventh. However, Cornell walked away with the “W.”The second game of the day brought the same for the Red but overall the team only had two hits through six innings. Those two were enough to give Cornell a 2-0 win over Princeton.“Friday started off really hot.  We went in there with that little bit of motivation,” senior Brenton Peters said. “We had the opportunity to get into the Ivy League Championship if things fell into place, but it didn’t work out.”Cornell and Princeton matched up again on Sunday at noon to mark the third face-off and to celebrate the Red seniors on Senior Day. Despite being back on the Hill, the Red could not keep the momentum from Friday, and the team dropped both games to the Tigers, 5-2 in 10 innings and  4-1.“Sunday was a little bit of a different story. We just couldn’t get anything going as far as support for our pitchers. They did outstanding as always, but we just couldn’t put runs up on the board. … The second game we started all of the seniors,” Peters said. “It was kind of cool getting to play my last game with them. We couldn’t bounce back, but I enjoyed the last season.”Cornell wrapped up its season tied for second in the Lou Gehrig Division after the losses on Sunday. Cornell finished the season 23-17 overall and 11-9 in the Ivy League. During his last few days on the Hill, Peters gave a bit of advice to his younger teammates for next season.“Take care of business early,” he said.

Original Author: Haley Velasco