CROSS COUNTRY | C.U. Hopes for New Successes in 2013

The Cornell women’s cross country team was ranked No. 10 in a national 2013 preseason poll conducted by the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association. The association also ranked Cornell No. 2 in the preseason ranking for the Northeast region. Last November, the team placed third in the NCAA Regional Championship.

“While I am certainly very pleased that the team has garnered National recognition and that other people have noticed the talent in the team, rankings are based on a person’s opinion; what matters is the team’ performance in the upcoming weeks and months,” assistant coach Arthur Cameron Smith said.

The Red’s 2012 preseason ranking was No. 30. Last season held many successes for the team, culminating with a No. 13 ranking at the NCAA Championship in Terre Haute, Indiana.

“I can’t really compare this year’s team with last year’s team as it’s a completely different group; even the girls who are returning are different in the sense that they have had the summer to train. We are definitely in a very different place compared to the year before,” Smith said. “I think it’s important to not look at past victories or other teams’ performances but to continually work on getting better, and this group did a really good job of keeping themselves fit over the summer.”

The squad will start its 2013 season against Army on Sept. 13 at the Moakley course in Ithaca.

“The team is excited to get started. We don’t run against Army regularly so we don’t know what to expect in terms of the other team, but I think it’s a good way to start the season,” Smith said. “The meet is smaller and so more intimate and will be a good transition from hard training to racing competitively. The season will only proceed to get more and more competitive so this meet is a great way to bring it in.”

Original Author: Deeya Bajaj