TANNIN: How My Childhood Love of Tech Led Me to Cornell Engineering

By TSVI TANNIN

Ever since I was a child, I have loved to tinker and figure out how things worked. I’ve enjoyed reading about how technology affects us now, and how new innovations could shape our lives in the future.

The gadgets that I’ve owned have also fueled my love for technology. I can still remember that surreal feeling of holding 10,000 songs when I unwrapped my first iPod, or that feeling of freedom that came with my first cell phone. But just “consuming” technology left me with a gap. I wanted to create — not just watch. And to build I needed tools.

I chose Cornell’s College of Engineering as the place to master my craft because of its computer science program, focus on entrepreneurship and ties to the startup community. Over the course of my freshman year, I was able to learn from titans in the industry like Ajay Banga and Eric Schmidt, as well as leaders like Scott Belsky and Jennifer Dulski. I had an incredible summer internship at Shelby.tv, a personalized online video site, because there was a startup career fair in Duffield Hall. There are so many opportunities to learn and get involved in the tech world here at Cornell, and I want to do my best to let it all sink in.

I hope this blog will be a place for people to catch up on what is happening in the tech world, both at big companies and at small ones, and as a place for me to share any helpful tips or interesting thoughts I have or come across. I hope this will be as interesting for you as it is for me.

Tsvi Tannin is a sophomore in the College of Engineering. He can be reached at [email protected].