November 7, 2013

Spotting House Fire, Newspaper Deliverer Calls Firefighters, Wakes Up Residents

Print More

By CAROLINE FLAX

A newspaper deliverer driving by a house in Varna, N.Y. helped save its residents when he noticed a blaze and called the Ithaca Fire Department.

At 5:00 a.m., Joel Brockway was driving past 377 Snyder Hill Rd. when he saw the blaze, woke up the house’s residents and called for help, the IFD wrote on Facebook Thursday.

According to the Facebook post, upon arriving at the scene, Varna Deputy Chief Vince Monticello saw a “heavy fire on the front porch of the two-story house.”

IFD extinguished the fire. According to IFD, the fire was only on the outside of the building, and the inside of the building only sustained smoke and water damage.

According to IFD, the fire started because of ashes that were left on the porch.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *