January 5, 2014

Emergency Responders: Fire at Viva Taqueria Likely Caused by ‘Discarded Cigarette’

Print More

By TYLER ALICEA

Ithaca firefighters and police officers collaborated Friday evening in subzero temperatures to put out a small fire that broke out at Mexican restaurant Viva Taqueria in downtown Ithaca.

The Ithaca Fire Department arrived around 10:15 p.m. after workers at the restaurant — located at 101 N. Aurora St. — discovered smoke coming from the walls, according to a press release from the Ithaca Fire Department.

Upon their arrival, responders evacuated the building and removed parts of the wall leading them to find flames, the press release said. Emergency workers shut down the 100 blocks of North and South Aurora Streets and the 300 block of East State Street in order to respond to the fire.

After the fire, the eatery reopened for business Saturday, according to the press release. Officials said the fire was accidental, likely being caused by a “discarded cigarette blown into a void space.”

No injuries were reported, the IFD said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *