TRACK & FIELD | Cornell Posts Strong Individual Performances Over Break

By LISA AWAITEY

Winter recess was anything but a break for the men’s and women’s Track and Field team. The Red hosted half a dozen college teams, various clubs and unaffiliated athletes in the Southern Tier Collegiate Open in Barton Hall on Friday, Jan. 10. The women’s team walked away with six ECAC qualifiers and nine event wins, while the men logged fourteen IC4A qualifying performances and nine victories.

Cornell’s seniors led the Red to several first place wins. Emily Shearer placed first in the women’s one-mile, Zaakirah Daniels in the women’s 60-meter Hurdles, Will Weinlandt in the men’s 500 meter dash, Dan Scott in the men’s triple jump and Tommy Butler in the men’s high jump.

However, the meet was not all about the upperclassmen; several freshmen had notable performances in the 2014 season opener. Freshmen Gaynelle Boham, Wynn Curtis, Jozef Mankovecky, Libby Nolan, Jordan Sherwood, Taylor Spillane and Bryan Stuttle all helped the team reach Top-four finishes, while Tobenna Attah and Grant Sisserson took the win in their respective events. The Class of 2017 proved to be a pivotal part of the 2014 track and field squad.

“It was a great time because finally, all of us had plenty of time to hang out and nothing to worry about except track and field,” said freshman runner Libby Nolan. “[It was] a little tough coming off of

Connor Archard / Senior PhotographerStrong leadership | The Red’s seniors recorded five first-place finishes in the Southern Tier Collegiate Open on Jan. 10.