FENCING | Red Takes Three of Five in Philadelphia Invitational

By SYDNEY ALTSCHULER

This weekend, the Cornell fencing team travelled to Penn to compete in the Philadelphia Invitational against UNC, Lafayette, Duke, Northwestern and Temple. The Red crushed its morning bouts, coming out on top against UNC, 15-2, Lafayette, 27-0 and Duke, 16-11. Unfortunately, the squad lost steam going into the afternoon events and fell to Northwestern, 18-9 and Temple, 21-6 to cap the day at three wins and two losses.

The Red’s foil performed well, dominating Lafayette, 9-0, UNC, 8-1 and Duke, 7-2 and nearly clinched a perfect sweep if not for falling to Temple, 5-4, in a tight contest. Every member of the foil squad posted a winning record on the day, with senior April Whitney, senior Christine McIntosh and sophomore Angelica Gangemi leading the way. Whitney was the team’s top finisher, posting a 12-2 record on the day. McIntosh was second with a record of 10-3 and Gangemi finished third on the team at 10-5. All three achieved double-digit victories.

According to Whitney, the Red’s success in the morning bouts can be attributed to hard work and training during the winter session.

Oliver Kliewe / Senior PhotographerEdging out the competition | The Red defeated UNC, Lafayette and Duke this weekend.