Hashmi ’14 Remembered as ‘Dedicated,’ ‘Bright’

By TYLER ALICEA

Sanya Hashmi ’14 died Monday night after spending seven days in intensive care at Cayuga Medical Center, a University statement said. She was 21.

Hashmi, who was a biological sciences major in the College of Arts and Sciences, planned to attend medical school after graduation, according to a statement issued Tuesday by Susan Murphy ’73 Ph.D ’94, vice president for Student and Academic Services.

In addition, Hashmi was “very active and beloved within the Cornell Muslim community,” Gretchen Ritter ’83, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, said in an email to the Arts and Sciences community. According to Murphy’s statement, Hashmi was also a member of the Muslim Educational and Cultural Association and a counselor for the Empathy, Assistance and Referral Service program.

Director of EARS, Janet Shortall, said Hashmi took much of her EARS training to her leadership roles within the Cornell Muslim community.

“She was an extraordinarily dedicated EARS counselor and provided a link for EARS outreach to the Muslim community,” Shortall said.

Ritter said those who knew Hashmi “described her as warm and bright with a radiant smile and a cheerful demeanor.”

Hashmi’s janazah — or funeral prayers service — will take place in her hometown, Holmdel, New Jersey, this week, according to the University statement. The University added that plans for a commemoration on campus will be made in the next few days.

Murphy expressed her condolences to the friends and family of Hashmi in her statement.

“On behalf of the entire university community, I want to extend my deepest condolences to Sanya’s family and friends,” Murphy said. “Please join me in taking a moment to remember Sanya and acknowledge this unfortunate loss to our community.”

University resources: Members of the Cornell community seeking support can call Gannett Health Services’ Counseling and Psychological Services (607-255-5155), EARS’ peer counselors (607-255-3277), the Faculty Staff Assistance Program (607-255-2673) or find additional resources at http://caringcommunity.cornell.edu.