WRESTLING | Wrestlers Try for Twelfth Straight Conference Title

By ANNA FASMAN

This weekend, the Cornell wrestling team will take on Ivy League foe Columbia at home with the hopes of winning its 12th straight Ancient Eight Championship.

So far this season, the Red has been able to maintain an untarnished record, winning all of its matches in both the Ivy League and against nonconference foes.

At this point, the Red is not only looking to take home another title in League play, but has also set its sights on the NCAA Championship in March. Five wrestlers who qualified for the NCAAs last year are returning to the mat against Columbia.

“We are motivated because our goals are always much higher than just another Ivy title,” said sophomore Nahshon Garrett. “We are a young, hard working team and we are gunning for a national title.” “We are a young, hard working team and we are gunning for a national title.” – Nahshon Garrett ’16

Senior Chris Villalonga said that the Red’s goal at this point in the season is to prepare for the National Championship.

“As of now, all we want to do is build on this momentum as we approach some tougher teams in duals and conference tournaments and eventually NCAA’s,” he said.

According to head coach Rob Koll, there is a higher level of intensity in practice. Furthermore, with such a young team and a sizable group of freshmen playing significant roles, the team has been looking to tidy up its technique going into the postseason.

“At this point in the season, we are not trying to teach anything new, just to refine and perfect our techniques. Our practices are shorter and more intense,” Koll said.

Connor Archard / Senior PhotographerHungry for more | Sophomore Nahshon Garrett said his team has its sights set on the NCAA Championships in March.