Greubel ’06 Brings Home Bronze Medal for Team USA

By SCOTT CHIUSANO

Though Cornell has had to wait almost a century for another medal in the bobsled competition of the Olympics, former Cornell track star Jamie Greubel ’06 brought one home for the Red, winning the bronze medal in the women’s bobsled on Wednesday with a time of 3:51.61.

Greubel and teammate Aja Evans were just 1.1 seconds away from capturing the silver medal, which went to another USA pair. With the win, Greubel became the second Cornell alumni to earn a medal in the bobsled competition. Dick Parke was the last to do it in the four-man bobsled at the 1928 games in St. Moritz, Switzerland.

With four Cornell women’s hockey players guaranteed to medal, playing for Canada in the gold medal match on Thursday, Greubel ensured that the Red would bring home five medals from Sochi, a feat that has been achieved only once before in the school’s history, at the 1984 summer games in Los Angeles, Calif.

With a bronze medal already draped around the neck of one Cornellian, it is only be a matter of time before the color of the four women’s hockey players’ medal will be determined. Rebecca Johnston ’12, Laura Fortino ’13, Lauriane Rougeau ’13 and senior Brianne Jenner will take the ice against the USA in the gold medal match on Thursday at 12 p.m.