MEN’S LACROSSE | Red Takes Home Two Victories

By SYDNEY ALTSCHULER This weekend, the Cornell men’s lacrosse team hosted Hobart to open the 2014 season. Though it was a tight contest, the men ultimately prevailed with a 12-8 victory. On Tuesday, the Red went on to top Binghamton, 14-8, improving its record to 2-0. The Red saw many players rise to their potential and break personal records. Senior Doug Tesoriero was the driving force behind the Red’s success, showing an almost perfect faceoff record, and dominating ground balls. He won 20 of the 24 restarts, including the last consecutive seven, which proved to be crucial to the Red’s comeback at the end of the match. In addition to dominating faceoffs, Tesoriero picked up 14 ground balls, the most of any player on either team, and also tallied two assists. “It was a team effort and a hard fought battle between two teams who hold the longest rivalry in college lacrosse.” — Doug Tesoriero

Though Tesoriero played a pivotal role in clinching the win, the victory can also be attributed to a strong group effort. Junior attackman Matt Donovan, senior midfielder Dan Lintner, junior midfielder John Hogan and junior midfielder Connor Buczek all contributed offensively for the squad. Donovan earned six points, posting three goals and three assists, while Lintner netted a career-high four goals. Hogan and Buczek each contributed a pair of goals.

Xiaoyue Guo/ Sun Staff PhotographerSenior Doug Tesoriero helped the Red to victory in its match against Hobart, winning most of his faceoffs and scooping 14 ground balls