Ithaca Burglar Arrested by Ithaca Police, Stolen Items to Aid Ongoing Investigation

By ANNIE BUI

The Ithaca Police Department charged a man with multiple felonies, including criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree and burglary in the second degree, Friday.

Police served a search warrant at the residence of Breon Brooks, 22, who police believe is responsible for a number of forced-entry burglaries in the Ithaca community, according to an IPD press release.

The search warrant was served in the 400 block of West Green Street, where officers recovered a loaded handgun, three-and-a-half grams of heroin and various stolen items which police believe to be linked to recent burglaries, the release said.

Police said they do not know the exact number of burglaries committed by Brooks. Investigators have begun to attempt to link each stolen item that was recovered to individual burglaries — a process that may take several weeks.

Brooks was arraigned in Ithaca City Court Friday and was remanded to Tompkins County Jail in lieu of a $200,000 cash bail or $400,000 bond, according to the release. He is also facing a hearing on charges of violating the terms of his New York State parole.

IPD Chief of Police John Barber expressed his relief at Brooks’ arrest, saying he was “pleased” with the efforts of the police officers involved in the case.

“Ithaca is a safer place now that Brooks is off the streets,” he said.