RECIPE | All You Can Do with Tortillas

By RENEE GIRARD

Your stomach is rumbling after a busy day. You’re starving and in a rush. With only 15 minutes before you need to leave your apartment for a club meeting, you contemplate what you should make to eat. My quick and easy solution to this dilemma? Tortillas.

Okay, before you think I’m crazy, let me explain. I started experimenting with my grocery list this semester. I was spending so much money each week on groceries, and half of what I bought would end up rotting away in my fridge. As an off-campus college student with limited time and money, I learned that you want to always buy a few staple items that are versatile and have a long shelf life. I’ve personally deemed tortillas a kitchen staple. They’re fairly inexpensive and you can make so many different simple and healthy dishes with them, not to mention they last a long time. Plus, you can throw virtually anything you have chillin’ in your fridge on them, or make some seriously delicious wraps. Here, I’ve shared recipes for some of my favorite snacks to make with tortillas – crispy White Tortilla Pizza and Nutella Fruit Wraps.

White Tortilla Pizza

Ingredients:

1 large tortilla

1/3 cup fat-free ricotta cheese

1 tbsp. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

1/4 tsp. garlic powder

4 thin slices of tomato

Salt & Pepper to taste

If you’re missing some of these ingredients, feel free to experiment and add or remove at your discretion. Be sure to keep the tortilla, though. Otherwise, you’re going to end up with a hot mess.

Directions:

Put tortilla on a baking sheet sprayed lightly with nonstick spray. Bake in the oven at 375 F until slightly crispy (3 – 5 minutes per side). Leaving the oven on, take the tortilla out and smooth out the ricotta onto the tortilla. Then sprinkle garlic powder, salt and pepper. Next, add the tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. Finally, return the pizza into the oven and bake until hot (about 5 minutes). Slice and enjoy your delicious pizza for one.

Nutella Fruit Wraps

Ingredients:

1 large tortilla

Nutella – as much as your heart desires

Fruit – as many sliced up pieces you’d like in your wrap; I recommend the banana strawberry combination.

Directions:

First, warm the tortilla in the microwave for 45 seconds. Next, go cray spreading the Nutella on the warm tortilla. Add your sliced fruit and wrap it up!

Share this:EmailShare on Tumblr