GYMNASTICS | Cornell Reaches End at Semifinals of USAG Collegiate Nationals

By TUCKER MAGGIO-HUCEK

The Pizzitola Sports Center in Providence was the end of the line for Cornell Gymnastics as the squad failed to advance past the semifinal round of the USAG Collegiate Nationals. The Red, needing to finish in the top two spots of its group to qualify for the Team Finals, scored a 191.950 for a fourth place finish.

Despite the results, senior Captain Lexi Schupp said she was pleased with how the team performed.

“We definitely had one of our best performances at Nationals this year,” Schupp said. “Everyone was excited and determined to do their best and it certainly showed in every single routine.”

While the team couldn’t nab an invitation to the Finals as a group, three Cornell gymnasts earned a spot in the individual finals that took place on Sunday.

The bars continued to be the Red’s best event in Providence, as seniors Lexi Schupp and Melanie Jorgensen qualified for the individual finals. With a 9.850, Schupp earned a third place finish in the event and her second USAG All-American award. Jorgensen finished right behind her teammate, executing her routine well in the event with a 9.825 to take fifth place.

The Red did not have any gymnasts qualify on the beam, with the squad’s highest finisher coming in 16th place.

OLIVER KLIEWE / SUN SENIOR PHOTOGRAPHERSenior captain Lexi Schupp excelled for the Red, qualifying for the individual finals in both bars and floor.