BYRNE | The Five Best Things About 2014 (So Far)

By SARAH BYRNE

This is my last column of the semester, but it’s not the end of the year. I don’t care. I’ll just do a year-so-far list instead of year-end list. No one is safe from my attempts to reduce days and weeks and months of existence to a trite, five-item list. Even though I’ve been away from Cornell this semester, thanks to the constant Facebook updates I feel like I’ve been there for every prelim, every sleepless night, every breakdown and every victory. Some of the items are things that I sadly did not experience along with the rest of our country, but I’m pretty sure they were fairly popular. Most of them are things that pertain almost exclusively to the weirdly eclectic-but-homogenous demographic that is college students. And all of them are reasons I can’t wait to get back to in the United States, because there is nowhere else in the world that I’ve been where people are more unabashedly enthusiastic about their interests, no matter how bizarre. So, here’s the list:

I’d say it’s shaping up to be a great year, despite the fact that many of us are currently in the midst of the yearly crisis I like to call The Amazing Race: Summer Internship Edition. You can do it! (I’m not sure if we can, but my mom tells me she’ll love me even if I don’t get a research position.) And if you end up running around getting someone’s coffee in Manhattan this summer, at least you can stop and get a cupcake on the way.