June 11, 2014

MEN’S LACROSSE | Cornell Taps Interim Coach as Next Leader of Program

By TYLER ALICEA

The University named Matt Kerwick — who served as the interim coach of the men’s lacrosse program during the 2014 season — as the team’s next head coach Wednesday.

Kerwick began his tenure as interim coach in November after the University dismissed former head coach Ben DeLuca ’98 in a move which shocked alumni and two months after Cornell announced that the team was suspended for the remainder of 2013 after reports that upperclassmen were hazing its freshmen.

Under Kewick’s leadership, the men’s lacrosse team finished the 2014 season with an 11-5 record and a 5-1 record in the Ivy League.

Director of Athletics and Physical Education Andy Noel said in a University statement that he is “excited” Kerwick will lead the team.

“”His performance over the past two years has been exemplary, and I could not be more pleased that he has the opportunity to continue the progress he has made with our program,” Noel said.

Kerwick said in a statement that he is “looking forward to coaching the tremendous group of student-athletes and working with the alumni that make up the Cornell lacrosse family.”

“To have an opportunity to coach at one of the most prestigious universities in the world with one the country’s most storied lacrosse traditions is what I’ve always aspired to do,” he said.”