SPRINT FOOTBALL | Rising Star: Pannullo Aims to Garner League Title

By SYDNEY ALTSCHULER

As the official start of the 2014 season fast approaches for the Cornell sprint football team, sophomore quarterback Rob Pannullo aims to make a positive contribution on the field. Looking towards the Franklin Pierce University matchup, redemption is the name of the game. After falling to the Ravens in a tight contest last year, Pannullo is ready to get in the game for Cornell and put the Red back on top.

According to the promising young player, the squad is eager to make a play for the League Championship this year and believes winning this first game is essential to getting the momentum going.

“We have high expectations for our first game against Franklin Pierce. They beat us in a tough game last year, but we are looking to turn the tables on them this year,” Pannullo said. “We are going to go out there and play smart, fast and physical football to set the tone for what we hope will be a special season as we try to capture our first league championship since 2006.”

And Pannullo has the stats to back it up. Joining the Red as a freshman last season, he played in all seven games at both wide receiver and quarterback. As a wide-out, he tallied nine catches for 61 yards as well as two touchdowns. While under center he completed 31 of 64 passes for 311 yards with one touchdown and rushed the ball over 60 times for another 118 yards. Pannullo also excelled on special teams, returning two kickoffs for 18 yards.

Sophomore quarterback Rob Pannullo looks to go the distance for the Red this season as he sets his sights on the League title. (CHRIS PHARE / SUN STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER)