SPRINT FOOTBALL | Red Wide Receivers to Be Key for Upcoming Season

By SYDNEY ALTSCHULER

Just as a strong emphasis on the passing game in the NFL has given way to an increase in talented wide receivers in recent years, so too has this shift been seen in the Collegiate Sprint Football League. Rule makers have altered the game dramatically over the decades, and the changes they have championed, in recent years in particular, have led to the prolific era of passing seen today. With offenses sending passing numbers to the roof, Cornell’s sprint football wideouts have taken on instrumental roles on the field. Carrying a lot of responsibility on their shoulders, the Red’s group of wide receivers is a diverse and strong-willed bunch, determined to make its mark this season.

Despite picking up sprint football for the first time at Cornell, many of the upperclassmen wideouts have proven to be fast learners under Coach Terry Cullen and have become strong leaders for the Red. Junior Trevor Marrero, for example, has just two years of playing time under his belt, as he instead pursued basketball and lacrosse at Phillips Exeter Academy. In contrast, senior wide receiver Jonathan Roth brings a wealth of experience to the squad, having played football since elementary school.

Chris Phare / Sun Staff PhotographerThe Red’s group of wide receivers is a diverse group of players, each having different football experience, ranging from years of play to just one or two years with the sport.

• Bran

This is an Excellent article! It accurately depicts the issues with the protest. Personally I do not think that hostile protestors should be hired from outside the cornell community. Also, the protest being the day after the attack on the synagogue is unfair and inconsiderate. Also divesting is not the answer to the debate. If israel declared peace and that they wouldn’t fight anymore they would be wiped off the map while if Palestine declared peace Israel would work on a peace agreement

• Clarification

I think it’s important to note that SJP didn’t hire any protesters and those who were hostile were not members of SJP.

• ThisIsPalestine

That’s what they always say. But what is SJP going to do about it?

• Rob Skrydlak

They will invite the he/she back for more intimidating Jews and Israel supporters!! After all SJP is an arm of the Muslim Brotherhood.

• roccolore

SJP = Hostile to Jews

• mention

Oh, right. Because Israel totally did that this summer.

• Celeste

Mention, your comment suggests that Palestine declared peace this summer and that subsequently, Israel did not work on a peace agreement.

When did Palestine, or any authority figure that represents Palestinians, ever declare peace this summer followed by Israel not trying to work on a peace agreement? When did Palestine declare peace? And this summer the conflict was primarily in the Gaza strip… When did Hamas ever declare peace this summer?

• mention

Israel’s offensive action against the Palestinian people this summer was just one of the latest flagrant Israeli violations of, for example, the Oslo Accords. A ceasefire “agreement” was then followed swiftly by further Israeli land-grabs (read: settler colonialism, genocide, and ethnic cleansing). “But that Arab-Israeli [sic] member of the Knesset though.” “But it hurts my feelings when you bring up this stuff though.”

• John

oh yes, israel’s offensive action was directed against the entirety of the palestinian people…are you kidding? do you generalize because you try and mislead people, or simply because you are ignorant? israel’s actions this past summer was directed against hamas, a terrorist organization that fires rockets without any sort of guidance system into both arab and israeli towns. they were directed against hamas, that digs tunnels into the homes of civilians with the expressed intent on murdering as many people as possible.

• mention

Israel murdered more people in Gaza over 50 days than the total number of Israelis killed by Palestinians in the last 25 years. Talk to me about Palestinian violence.

• mention

But at least you admit it was an OFfensive action.

• Arafat

Offensive? You are offensive. Your lies are offensive. Your embrace of Islamic supremacy – yes, that is the Palestinians real goal – is offensive.
            What Israel did was protect their citizens against the continuing offensive rocketry barrage. Israel’s actions were necessitated by Hamas’ offensive actions.

• mention

As a point of fact, there is no evidence that Palestinians used “human shields” during the Israeli military offensive against the Gaza Strip this past summer, despite the IDF’s repeated claims to the contrary. Meanwhile, the IDF has long admitted to using “human sheilds” in direct and flagrant violation of international law. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_shield

• Arafat

The words of historian and author Serge Trifkovic describe
            Islam perfectly:

“Islam is a collective psychosis seeking to become global, and any attempt to compromise with such madness is to become part of the madness itself. ”

• LouAdams

hamas admits using human shields, but so many journalists whose lives were threatened by hamas thugs have also admitted the human shields and the placement of offensive weapons in civilian neighborhoods, hospitals and schools

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2753176/Hamas-DID-use-schools-hospitals-Gaza-Strip-human-shields-launch-rocket-attacks-Israel-admits-says-mistake.html

• John

so, palestinians are “murdered,” and israelis are “killed.” assuming people fall for the false comparison and assuming people believe that israel actually does murder people in cold blood, at least have the moral decency and common sense to call it murder on both sides. your selectivity highlights a clear double standard and misplaced sense of moral superiority.

you want to see real genocide…take a look at one of several countries in the middle east engaged in the wholesale slaughter and imprisonment of their own citizens, i.e. syria. the steady flow of selective outrage directed at israel over the decades is as clear as day, to those of us with brains.

• mention

In fact, I take your important point about word-choice entirely, although not your interpretation of it. I’d be happy with either of the following revisions: “Israel murdered more people in Gaza over 50 days than the total number of Israelis murdered by Palestinians in the last 25 years. Talk to me about Palestinian violence;” or, “Israel killed more people in Gaza over 50 days than the total number of Israelis killed by Palestinians in the last 25 years. Talk to me about Palestinian violence.”

However, I will not be “looking elsewhere” in the Middle East in order to ignore or distract from Israeli violence. As a U.S. citizen, whose taxes fund the IDF and the violence of massacre, displacement, and containment necessary to maintain a semblance of a “Jewish state” in the region, I certainly claim no moral superiority.

• Bteri

Again, without the use of human shields your argument falls apart. Last I checked it was only Israel that dropped leaflets, made phonecalls warning of bombings to minimize loss of life.

• Arafat

Palestinians are a miserable and pathetic people. They slit the throats of innocent Israeli families, then whine when
            Israel sets up check points to prevent this. They blow
            themselves up on crowded Israeli buses, then whimper when Israel prevents this with a wall. The shoot rockets at Israel by the thousands, then kvetch and moan when Israel deploys
            Iron Dome defenses to prevent this, too.

They forced the construction of the wall. They necessitated
            the checkpoints. All of their misery is their own doing. But they will never acknowledge that truth; because that would mean self-reflection and intelligence (decency and kindness)
            on their part– all characteristics they and their
            leadership know nothing about.

• VRC

Mention, it is patently obvious that you know NOTHING about the Palestinian conflict with Israel. You believe everything that Hamas, the PA and the he pro-Palestinian media tell you; you even take Wikipedia at face value. Hamas and the Palestinian Authority lie, as the Koran tells fighters to do in order to confuse their enemies. Wikipedia is only as accurate and truthful as the contributors make it. Israel-haters and anti-Semites have been publishing lies about Israel since the Israel entry was first published. The IDF has NEVER, NEVER, NEVER used human shields, whereas the Palestinian leaders have used them for years. Stop relying on the biased garbage you cite; read the Jew -hatred in the Arab and Muslim media, and you will see where the lies come from. Then read the Wall Street Journal, the best, unbiased newspaper, and get some real facts. You have been badly misled; either that or you are very easily fooled.

• wjre

US aid is a tiny percentage of Israeli gdp. Definitely not enough to dictate policy – more like a symbolic gesture. An equal amount of your taxes go to that bastion of democracy – Egypt and countries like Pakistan which harbored Bin Laden for years.

• LouAdams

The US funds the PA and hamas along with the EU, you don’t seem to be concerned about the women, gays and children suffering under their aggression or repression.

• Bteri

Those pesky human shields Hamas used upset you?

• LouAdams

Hamas has murdered more Arabs than Israel has in the last 70 years, as has Syria, Lebanon and Jordan.
            Your knowledge of Oslo is clouded, the PLO, PA or hamas have never kept one agreement from the signing..

• If you are correct, then one must conclude that the people of Gaza are pretty stupid not to stop attacking Israel.

• Bteri

Last I checked Israel didnt dig 50+ secret tunnels for a planned massacre against Palestinians…. and to add insult to injury – used the very concrete provided from Israel to build things like schools and hospitals.

As far as this past summer is concerned… the initial provocation was the murder of 3 innocent Israel students hitchhiking.

• mention

“But my feelings though.”

• Arafat

Silencing debate by name-calling.

Silencing debate by rioting.

Silencing debate by making stuff up.

Silencing debate by spinning jihad.

Silencing debate by beheading.

Silencing debate by death threats.

Silencing debate by theft and rape.

Silencing debate by cold shoulder.

Silencing debate by taqiyya.

Silencing debate by throwing acid.

Normative Islam, rather than an aberration.

• SeeThroughYou

The same MO,over and over again from 1400 years ago until right this very second on every continent but Antarctica harming over a billion of innocent individuals in more than a millennium of predatory, misogynistic, selfish ideological rubbish spread by deception, coercion and violence.

All of the world’s dominant ideologies started with similar characteristics but grew out of it with one exception, Islam.

• mention

When you copy-pasted this from somewhere else, you didn’t even bother to remove the “hard returns.” And to think Israel is paying you for this!

• John

you can call it “murder,” but you are only deluding yourself. Israel does more to avoid civilian casualties than any other military in the world. plain, simple fact. perhaps hamas should have considered using the millions of dollars and material in foreign aid to build up society in Gaza, rather than to dig tunnels leading into the homes of israeli civilians. it is those tunnels, unlike the actions of israel, that were intended for murder.

• mention

Palestinian casualties this summer numbered well over 2,000… the result of an Israeli massacre paid for, of course, by billions of dollars of unilateral aid from the U.S. “Silly Palestinians — not taking it on the chin.”

• John

a pro hamas shill avoiding the point entirely. what a surprise. yes yes, the US is occupying native american land and facilitating worldwide settler colonialism, imperialism, and all the other isms that make activists drool.

• mention

What point am I missing? And, you’re cool with settler colonialism and stuff?

• John

the point is that no one would have been killed by israel in gaza this past summer if it had not been for a terrorist organization which has a publicly stated and attempted goal of killing as many israeli civilians as possible. to call it “murder” is false and misrepresenting the situation, especially when one considers the fact that hamas willfully places rockets inside schools and hospitals, and encourages palestinian civilians to stay on the roofs of buildings that israel has warned it will be bombing. you have fallen for the hamas strategy of causing civilian casualties in order to elicit responses such as yours.

• mention

^More Israeli propaganda. In fact, Israel murdered more people in Gaza over 50 days than the total number of Israelis killed by Palestinians in the last 25 years. At the same time, Israeli officials have, numerous times in recent years, publicly stated Israel’s goal of reducing, containing, and removing the non-Jewish population of the region. After all, how else is a “Jewish state” there possible?

• John

again, you’re repeating the same drivel as before. claiming that israel committed “murder” is false and misleading. the only entity guilty of mass murder this past summer is hamas, which willfully put its civilian population in harms way. true cowardice.

• mention

The only evidence for the infamous “human shields” claim is the testimony of the IDF, so I think we can agree to discount that immediately.

• John

the IDF has more legitimacy as a source than most news agencies. so no, we can’t agree. furthermore, the video and pictures of hamas having placed weapons in and fired rockets from inside and around civilian infrastructure including hospitals and schools is incontrovertible. knowing full well that israel will retaliate the way it does, hamas is either guilty of putting its citizens in extreme danger, or just plain dumb.

hamas is guilty of a triple war crime: placing and firing weapons from inside civilian buildings, encouraging civilians to remain in areas the israel warns it will be bombing, and finally deliberately targeting civilian areas within israel.

• mention

Maybe guilty in your own international criminal court, sure. But we know, of course, that the IDF has long used Palestinians (including children) as human shields, indiscriminately targets Palestinian civilians (including children), and maintains the illegal occupation of the West Bank. Talk to me about war crimes.

• John

hamas currently maintains the illegal occupation of your brain…

• Arafat

The “Palestinians” are illegal colonist-settlers from Arabia illegally occupying the Jewish homeland of Judea.

• LouAdams

let the Arabs sign a peace treaty if they want to end the occupation, they could have done that an day for the last 66 years or they could have accepted it in 1948 when the UN set up a Jewish and an Arab state.

• LouAdams
          • roccolore

How much is Hamas paying you to defend them?

• mention

Funny, because there is substantial and mounting evidence that Israel pays bloggers in the U.S., especially in universities.

• roccolore

What evidence? One that Hamas made up?

• LouAdams

the minuscule credibility you have is completely gone, your comments prove you care more about hate than peace.

• Arafat

There are two forms of lying to non-believers that are
            encouraged in Islam, taqiyya and kitman.
            These circumstances are typically those that advance the cause Islam – in some cases by gaining the trust of non-believers in order to draw out their vulnerability and defeat them.

• LouAdams

Can you share quotes by the Israel government because there are endless quotes by arab leaders calling for the murder of every single Israeli.

• Arafat

While Israelis laud their scientists, their artists, their
            doctors and multiple Nobel Prize nominees and recipients, Palestinians have a long and ignominious tradition of extolling the virtues of those who commit mass murder, slaughter
            innocents on buses and hijack commercial airliners. Public squares and streets are named after them and their children are taught to emulate them. The contrast between Israeli and Palestinian society could not be starker. One society celebrates
            and encourages progress and life while the other has morphed itself into a death cult, steeped in perverted traits that are an anathema to Western civilization.

• mention

^This is what colonialist racism and white supremacy look like. Long live Palestine!

• Arafat

We ex-Muslims living with Islam’s formal and informal death penalty for apostasy know that Mohammedanism is a cruel and deadly fraud.

The 164 jihad verses in the Qur’an make jihad warefare a central tenet of the Islamic creed. At least 75% of the Sira (biographies of Muhammad and quotes attributed to him) is about jihad.

The largest part of the Islamic texts (the Qur’an, hadith and sira) relate to the treatment of unbelievers, kafirs. Approximately 67% of the Qur’an written in Mecca is about the unbelievers, or politics. Of the Qur’an of Medina, 51% is devoted to the unbelievers.

• LouAdams

you cannot colonize the land your ancestors have been buried on for 3000 years or where your places of worship have stood from time immemorial.

• LouAdams

you mentioned the oslo accords, there is nothing in them that precludes Israel from building anywhere in the accords.
            By the way according to the PLO leadership, Israel has less than 3% of the disputed territory. Do you have a problem with Israel building on land that was ethnically cleansed of Jews by Islamic armies?

• roccolore

Liberal and Muslim fascists like you support Hamas using kids as human shields. Hamas also hides bombs in their terror mosques.

• Arafat

mention,
        If Jewish values thought of human life similarly to Islamic values than Gaza would be the next Sudan, Syria, Somalia or some other Islamic cesspool where Muslims are killing people as if they were promised virgins in paradise for the act of murder.
        Oh, wait, they are.

• mention

I don’t know what “Jewish values” you are talking about. But the forcible creation of a “Jewish state” in the Middle East is not one of them, at least according to a growing population of Jewish people highly critical of Israeli colonialism.

• Arafat

The Jewish values do not condone the following:

1. If you refine heroin for a living,

but you have a moral objection to liquor,

You may be a Muslim.

2. If you own a $3,000 machine gun and a $5,000 rocket launcher,

but you can’t afford shoes,

You may be a Muslim.

3. If you have more wives than teeth,

You may be a Muslim.

4. If you wipe your butt with your bare hand

but consider bacon to be unclean,

You may be a Muslim.

5. If you think vests come in two styles:

Bullet-proof and suicide.

You may be a Muslim

6. If you can’t think of anyone

you haven’t declared jihad against,

You may be a Muslim.

7. If you consider television dangerous

but routinely carry explosives in your clothing,

You may be a Muslim.

8. If you were amazed to discover that cell phones

have uses other than setting off roadside bombs,

You may be a Muslim.

9. If you have nothing against women

and think every man should own at least four,

You may be a Muslim.

• mention

^This is kind of racism is not only disgusting but dangerous: dangerous, in part, because it may serve as a grave distraction from Israeli colonialist violence. It’s a discredit to the Sun that it’s still on this website.

• Arafat

^This is kind of lies is not only disgusting but dangerous: dangerous, in part, because it may serve as a grave distraction from Israel being the beacon of light in a geographic region filled with Hitler-like Muslim dictators. It’s a discredit to the Sun that it’s still on the website.

• LouAdams

you cannot colonize land you were ethnically cleansed from

• LouAdams

if they suffered so much why did they being the fighting by firing missiles into civilian neighborhoods in Israel Why did they put offensive weapons in schools, mosques and civilian neighborhoods. If you are such a humanitarian, why aren’t you made at hamas for their responsibility for the entire situation.

• ThisIsPalestine

SJP should be banned from Cornell, and all university campuses, as a hate group. The only reason they exist is to spread hatred of a racial/religious minority.

• mention

Oh, right. Because Israel belongs to all the Jews, and all the Jews belong to all of Israel… If you believe that, you’ll believe anything.

• ThisIsPalestine

The history of Jews in Israel has nothing to do with SJP’s brownshirted behavior at Cornell and elsewhere.

• mention

In case you misunderstood, a belief in certain Zionist ideas (e.g., that Israel belongs to all the Jews, etc.) is the only way that criticism of Israel can possibly be construed as “hatred of a racial/religious minority,” although this is not to say that such a belief leads to only this construal.

• ThisIsPalestine

SJP’s cause is not “criticism of Israel,” it’s all about destroying it and replacing it with a racist Arab theocracy. And they will intimidate everyone who disagrees with them into silence.

I would say that trying to deprive a racial/religious minority of their basic human rights certainly qualifies as hatred.

• mention

Which “racial/religious minority” is being persecuted, exactly?

• ThisIsPalestine

The Jewish people. Have you heard of them? They’re the ones SJP think shouldn’t have the same rights that SJP demands for Palestinian Arabs.

• Arafat

What is the following “Minorities”?
            The Yazidi in Iraq and the Christian Copts in Egypt are not
            “settlers” and “occupiers;” neither are the Jews in Israel.
            They are victims of a common enemy that seems to want a Middle East free of non-Muslims.

• Look at a map of the world, and ask yourself why on earth the 500 or so million Arabs, on 3,560,000 (3 million 536 thousand) square miles of land are so obsessed with 8 million Jews in a land that comprises 10 thousand square miles???

• roccolore

Muslim and liberal fascists like you are the real hatemongers.

• Arafat

mention is the Crusader for this:

They cover up their women in tents then drool over a ‘paradise’
            with naked virgin vending machines.

• mention

Don’t Zionists usually argue that “no country is perfect” with respect to Israel? There’s something I’d agree on with respect to any country. Again, human rights violations outside of so-called Israel do no vindicate Israeli crimes — it’s very simple.

• Arafat

If you want to understand the enemy “Read what they say”.
            They constantly justify their acts with accurate and apt citations from the Koran and Hadith.

• LouAdams

mention’s one way street of hypocrisy, no matter what Islam does it doesn’t matter because he is only focused on Israel. So why have two of the children of hamas’s leader been treated in Israel if it’s such a bad country. Why have hundred of Syrians who where victims of Arab atrocities in Syria been treated in Israel.

• Marjorie Stamm Rosenfeld

Why, too, did Israel treat more than 200,000 Palestinian Arabs in Israeli hospitals in 2013, free of charge–with the bill footed by Israeli taxpayers?

• LouAdams

because no matter what the propagandists say Israel is a very humanitarian country

• Marjorie Stamm Rosenfeld

Re the idea that Israel belongs to all the Jews: in point of fact, Western Palestine was designated for the Jews in which to reconstitute their historic homeland. Read the 1920 San Remo Resolution, the 1922 Mandate for Palestine, and the 1924 Anglo-American Convention. And while you’re at it, better read, also, Article 80 of the U.N. Charter, which preserves the rights of all peoples given them by previous legal instruments.

• Right you are! Why, the Arabs started killing Jews in Palestine in the 1920s and 1930s, before there even was a State of Israel, before there were ‘settlements,’ before there were ‘refugees,’
          before there was ‘occupation.’ So, logic compels us to conclude that all these ‘reasons’ for Palestinian anger and violence are nothing but red herrings and poor excuses. Nothing to do with the reality, which Palestinians have no shame to proclaim: that their unique goal is to kill Jews and destroy the State of Israel. Why? Baseless Hatred. (There exists a book by that title which I can highly recommend to anyone trying to make some semblance of sense out of this madness). The Muslims even teach that to the children in their madrassas and promise everyone who kills a lot of Jews he/she will go to Paradise as a ‘martyr.’
          Talk about an intelligent strategy for a healthy, happy society!

• roccolore

Muslim and liberal fascists like you should know that there are 57 Muslim countries. And yet you fascists want to get rid of the one Jewish state.

• Arafat

20% of Isreal’s population is Muslim and/or Christian as opposed to:

===

To clarify: Wahhabism is the only officially recognized and
        allowed religion in Saudi Arabia. Other forms of Islam and other religions are banned and persecuted by the state.

Saudi Arabia is the only Islamic state in which there is no
        church, no synagogue and no other place of worship of any other religion.

Shiite Muslims have been systematically discriminated
        against for decades. Jews are even forbidden to enter the Kingdom.

Saudi Arabia practices a form of Sharia law that is one of
        the most brutal systems in the world. Saudi Arabia has at all times rejected the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of 1948.

Women may not drive a car and can be punished by flogging.
        Corporal punishment, including amputations and executions, are part of everyday life in the country. Just two weeks ago a Sudanese immigrant in Saudi Arabia was publicly beheaded for ‘sorcery.’ Saudi Arabia is one of the few countries in the world in which the death penalty is enforced even on teenagers,” the paper said.

• wjre

According to a UN mandate in 1948 Israel does belong to the Jews. How many other countries existence was voted into being by the UN?

• roccolore

SJP = Nazis

• P. Nile Schwartz

Why do Muslims always whine that the Pentagon and EU don’t do anything to help Islamists even as both entirely rewrite history while absolving the na zi mufti Husseini of all guilt, both financially prop fatah and hamas, and both engage in repeated wars benefitting Islamists?

• Arafat

It’s barely possible to even begin to constructively
    engage in criticism with Muslims about Islam. They will claim to take offense right from the start of nearly every effort. Or worse.
    They are simply unwilling and unable to engage in forthright, critical discussion and debate, of the example and teachings set by the person whom they regard as the
    paramount prophet, of Islam’s laws or morals or truth claims. Why? Because they know their position is indefensible. Their morals and laws are essentially
    alien and antagonistic to those of any western, or any open, liberal, democratic pluralistic society and their position withers in the face of robust, evidence based argument. Furthermore, it is simply impermissible to engage in any such real debate in Islam. Islam means submission.

• mention

Those hard returns, though.

• MarcRauch

But why wasn’t the loud-mouth pig woman arrested for assault? The video and the story is interesting, but that slob should have been handcuffed and taken to jail.

• Rob Skrydlak

Why are these non-Cornell people allowed onto campus to harass and intimidate Cornell students. Seeing the video of this person begging for confrontation should trigger a trespass notice that she/he/whateverthehell is not welcomed on campus.

• We have the same problem on University of California campuses. I have repeatedly attempted to petition Governor Brown to stop these defamatory and provocative demonstrations before someone gets hurt physically, even as many are getting hurt emotionally right now, without success. We have a constitutional right to ask our government for the redress of grievances, which is, however, meaningless if we have no access to our government. I have e-mailed, sent faxes and letters by Fedex – no reply, no reaction. I am convinced that arrogant aids to the Governor take it upon themselves not to deliver these messages, because the Governor would not be so rude as not to answer messages from his constituents.
    My suggestion to Cornellians: try to ask you governor to stop these hate mongers before they do more harm.
    Good luck! And thanks to the writer of this letter to the Editor.