DUBNOV | MLB, NFL Coaches Fired in Post-Season After Teams Fall Flat

By NIKITA DUBNOV

It is that time again in the sports year when a bunch of coaches start losing their jobs. It seems to happen every year. With the end of the MLB regular season, Bo Porter of the Houston Astros and Ron Gardenhire of the Minnesota Twins lost their jobs after subpar performances by their teams. In the NFL, Dennis Allen of the Oakland Raiders surrendered his coaching position after the team’s tenth straight loss dating back to last November. In professional football, the term “Black Monday” has come to describe the mass firing of coaches following the final Sunday of every NFL season. Last year’s casualties included Mike Shanahan of the Redskins, Leslie Frazier of the Vikings, Greg Schiano of the Buccaneers, Jim Schwartz of the Detroit Lions and Rob Chudzinski of the Browns.

None of those names are legendary coaches. Some are young coaches while others are mediocre coaches that were stuck with subpar teams. In an industry as cutthroat as professional sports the coaching position is never safe. But what makes a good coach? A good coach is not one who can draw up the best play or substitute in the best player. That comes with luck. A good coach can understand the players he is given to coach and can do an excellent job of developing chemistry with and amongst the players.

However, how can a mediocre coach succeed with a poorly performing team? There is little hope. It is often too easy to blame the failures of a team on a lack of talent of the person directing the show. If a team that is expected to win fails to do so, a coaching change is not an outrageous option. However, it is all too common that a young coach has to take over a struggling team and find a way to make sense of the mess. It is very rare that this type of change is successful (barring the signing of a major free agent or draftee alongside the introduction of the coach). This is a ‘good guys finish last’ type of scenario.

The real issue is that sometimes fans get tired of seeing the same result under the same coaching staff. Then the change happens. A new face is introduced. There is a short period of success (or sometimes there is not). And after all that, the team is in the same place. The Cleveland Browns are a great example. The team changed four coaches in a span of five years, and after all the commotion, the team is still one of the worst in the league.

Bo Porter’s departure from the Astro’s dugout is another example of a coach taking the blame for a terrible roster. The team’s poor performance was certainly not due to any outrageous mistakes that Porter made with the lineup. With a roster composed of players that would find far greater success at the Triple-A level, Porter had little power in trying to compete in the Major Leagues.

Teams that perform poorly need a way to show the fan base that changes are being made. Instead of doing the dirty work, which includes developing young players and recruiting big name free agents, it is much easier to prove that a team is progressing in some way after a firing. However, it is not common that these changes fail to lead to any more success on the field.

Firings are expected to happen in the industry, but in the modern world of sports, coaches are fired all too often. The issue is that the firings do not usually solve issues of the team. Unless coaches make blatant mistakes in their ability to create a winning environment with all of their resources, it would be much better to see a coach stick by a team through a rough patch and try to carry the team through an unsuccessful season en route to eventual success.

• Bob

In American film, the Mexican is Cheech and the white guy is Chong. I recommend you watch “Up In Smoke” for confirmation. Great movie!

• Tree Top

I got a big kick out of your post.

• Tree Top

This is pretty much unintelligible.

• Leticia Collado

Do you just comment on Munoz’s articles, or do you mock and bully all Cornell Sun writers?

• Tree Top

I focus on pieces that are ridiculous. For some unknown reason, Munoz’s articles seem to fall into that category.

• Val S

You sir are the ridiculous bigot here. You make yourself look bad trolling on all these intelligent posts. You conservative/ racist bigot.

• didyoureallysaythat

If being logical and rational is being conservative and racist, then I’m very proud of it. Perhaps you people should take your own advice and check your own privilege. Cultural appropriation is a first world problem, whether you like it or not.

• Sijambo

This piece does an alright job of addressing this, but I think what drove people to respond sarcastically to the Overheard post is because nobody (myself included) really understands what cultural appropriation is. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has never encountered that concept in my education thus far and probably never will on account of my major. When you look at this post from the standpoint of somebody who isn’t familiar with cultural appropriation, the sarcasm becomes a lot more understandable, as was addressed by Muñoz. So there are some questions that need to be answered in order for all of us to understand the issues at work here.

1. What is the difference between cultural appropriation and cultural diffusion?
    2. Is that picture still an example of cultural appropriation?
    3. Can cultural appropriation impact a “majority” culture? (e.g. can Mexican immigrants appropriate American culture?)
    4. Where is the line drawn between appreciating a culture and appropriating it?

I’m sure there are more questions that could be asked too, these are just ones that I named off the top of my head.

• didyoureallysaythat

Oh we understand what it is, all right. We just think it’s stupid to whine and bitch about it. There are a lot bigger problems out there in the world than some stupid hat some kid out there decides to wear.

The ironic thing about these Latinos is that they claim to love their heritage and where they’re from yet know nothing about it (e.g. the sombrero is not “indigenous”). They’re more American than they wish to admit. Not to mention they have the audacity to say that being called names here is a “suffering” that’s comparable to people in Latin America starving on a day-to-day basis and worrying about whether they or their family/friends will survive the next day due to rampant gang violence. They just learn these cute little buzzwords like “micro-aggression” in their biased liberal arts courses and decide to throw it around outside of class and in their accusations of others in their poor attempt to have an understanding of the real world. Ironically, they’re the ones who need to take their own advice and “check their privilege.”

• Cornell14

White man invents sustainable electricity
    White man invents personal computer
    White man invents the fucking Internet
    Ignorant POC flock to these white-man-made inventions to tell them to stop appropriating his culture

How about you stop appropriating white culture too

• Hadiyah

Lewis Latimer, a Black Man, is responsible for the filament that makes a light bulb work (not your homie Ben Franklin). Without light, none of those white men would have done anything. Maybe you should stop “appropriating” light bulbs. You are extremely ignorant and I pray you do not actually go to this university.

• Tree Top

Are you actually suggesting that any demographic other than white men have been responsible for nearly all of the innovation produced in this country over its history?

• Cornell14

I don’t attend Cornell currently, but I graduated from this great institution. Ben Franklin is not my “homie”. Also, by the way, Edison invented the light bulb.

• Val S

Please go further your education, because clearly there are things you do not understand yet decide to speak on. It truly would better the community we all live in.

• Cornell14

Currently a PhD student elsewhere. Leave your ignorance and degeneracy behind and stop insulting white people and appropriating our culture and technologies.

• Val S

I will stop insulting white people when the few white people who are racist and make their whole race look bad stop doing so. Until then someone needs to be honest about the absolute nonsense that you and a few others love to spew here.

• Cornell14

Replace “white” with “black” and realize how racist you are.

• Val S

No because then that implies that there is racism towards white people when clearly that is not the case. You need to realize that I am only attacking the arguments of those who are clearly displaying ignorance and racism towards these diverse students posting here. It is WRONG on so many levels to try and de-value their arguments by stating 1.logical fallacies 2. Inaccurate facts and 3.Statements that make not only them but the white community uncomfortable

• Cornell14

There is racism towards white people in many parts of the world, including certain regions within the united states. It is WRONG on so many levels to try and de-value counter arguments by stating 1.logical fallacies 2. Innacurate facts and 3.Statements that make not only them but the minority community uncomfortable.

• Val S

You my friend do not know as much as you think you do. That is all. There is no point arguing with ignorance.

• Cornell14

I am not your friend.

• Val S

Great I don’t make friends with ignorant and racist people. Anyway that is all I will post for tonight, because I actually have a life outside of posting on forums for attention trying to troll and derail the voices of young people of color. You make yourself look bad, I’m only here to watch.

• Cornell14

Please, stop making people of color look like racists.

• Val S

Sadly, I am a white woman and its a shame that even i can acknowledge this and check myself.

• Cornell14

Then please, move to Africa and help with the ebola effort.

• Val S

Also Id love to see proof of this racism towards white people that is not directly influenced by racism they’ve initiated themselves towards people of color.

• Cornell14

The evidence is ample, as a sociology professor why don’t you study it yourself? I would not waste my time educating such a racist as yourself.

• Val S

I am not a sociology professor but I appreciate you promoting me to that title? Funny you should say that I am racist, and when I ask for evidence there is no proof.

• Cornell14

Racists do not formulate their ideologies upon evidence, and you have shown yourself to be a racist. Be gone.

• Val S

You just proved your own point wrong. You’re the one without evidence here not me. So be gone to you as well. And goodnight. Hope you continue to enjoy make yourself look bad behind an anonymous screen name. Wish you had the courage and bravery to expose who you really are not only to us but your friends and family. I’m sure they would not be proud, which is why you hide behind the anonymous screen name.

• Cornell14

Same with you “Val S”, I’m sure your last name is one letter.

• Leticia Collado

How dare you invalidate any minority that has ever worked on any engineering, science, math, etc project! How dare you be so blind! AND PLLEAASSEE don’t talk about appropriation!!

• Tree Top

How dare you? Are you serious? Are you competing with Munoz for most inane comment of the day?

• Emony Robertson

Dear Tree Top, your ignorance and arrogance against every article written by Munoz has helped to unite more people of color and their white counterparts, as we realize that people like you still exist. It’s amazing how as a product of white privilege you do not have to worry about your grade point average. You spend so much time bashing others and their intellectual abilities that you deepen the blackhole of systematic oppression, and cannot possibly have time to do work. I strongly suggests you take time to think of the impact your existence has on the world. Your pretentious, racist and prejudice ideals are holding society and ALL people back. Last but not least, you will respond in your typical disgusting and disrespectful manner, as opposed to the intellectual your parents are paying for you to become – that is if you even go to Cornell University. However, I will not respond back to you, because I refuse to respond to a bigot who hides behind unidentifiable screen names. Stop being a coward and oppress people with your true identity. On that note, the persistence of your arrogance and disrespect the entire semester shows how small you are, and how little you think of yourself.

• Tree Top

I believe you should work on your sentence structure. It is quite subpar.

• Leticia Collado

The moment when you no longer have any more fecal matter to expel from your mouth so you result to the cheapest excuse in the unstructured – argument book……”sentence structure”

• Tree Top

Your sentence structure also needs improvement. Hopefully you are not an English major.

• Leticia Collado

Now you’re just making it fun! (I bet you’re going to comment ‘Sentence structure’ because you’re that predictable).

• Emony Robertson

This character is the epitome of the following quote: “The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism.” -William Osler

• Tree Top

By the way, is that a picture of your boyfriend?

• Leticia Collado

• Val S

Hah look how cute that is when you try to derail an argument using things that don’t matter! Lovely example of ad hominem, I see you enjoy trying to discredit a valuable comment by attacking the arguer rather than the argument. You know It seems Emony has a point and you have nothing to say because you indeed are the racist a-hole that she describes you to be. Next time instead of looking for errors in peoples arguments try and listen. I don’t know, maybe then you would not be such an ignorant and racist person.

• Tree Top

There is nothing of substance in Emony’s post to evaluate, nor yours. By the way, name calling is not usually a good indicator of a valid argument. You and your friends seem to have trouble writing anything that does not include name calling. Perhaps that is common in your major? Finally, I must decline your suggestion to carefully consider these posts. They are simply too pathetic to be taken seriously.

• Val S

Your comments are too pathetic to be taken seriously.

• didyoureallysaythat

As if yours are any better.

• Guest

To the author, I understand that you feel hurt and offended. I am sorry that you feel this way.

However, if you think you can use this as an excuse for the public shaming (and yes, this is what the original Facebook post was, public shaming) of a person for wearing festive clothing in a festive environment, you are fighting a losing battle and people will rightfully get shut down, as they did on the Facebook post before you retreated to The Sun.

Your level of offense is not justification for anything other than a re-evaluation of your own emotional maturity. There are times when it is worth lashing out at society and there are times when it is worth coming to terms with it and changing ourselves instead. In your case, I would suggest the latter, because quite frankly, there is not a single place outside of the mental cradle of Cornell that will tolerate the idea of a non-Mexican being offended on behalf of Mexicans that another (possibly) non-Mexican is wearing a festive hat to a party. This is not a cosmic struggle for civil rights. This is absurd.

• Michael

However, if you think you can use this as an excuse for the public shaming (and yes, this is what the original Facebook post was, public shaming) of a person for wearing festive clothing in a festive environment, you are fighting a losing battle and people will rightfully shut you down, as they did on the Facebook post before you retreated to The Sun.