POLO | Cornell Polo Topples University of Connecticut

By ELANI COHEN

After the team finished last year’s season with a loss in the semifinals against top-seeded Westmont, the Cornell men’s polo team was determined to get back on its feet this season with a victory in its season-opener against the University of Connecticut. The match ended in Cornell’s favor, with a final score of 23-19.

Head coach David Eldredge said that he was content with the Red’s performance but still sees room for improvement moving forward.

“Overall I was very happy with how the team played. The starters produced well and showed some flashes of the play we can expect for the future. Definitely some things to cleanup and work on but on the whole I was happy with the effort,” he said.

Cornell started the match with senior captain Nick Steig, senior Hakan Karabey and sophomore Ignacio Masias. As the first chukker began, the Red quickly scored its first goal of the season. Though the Huskies did get a few goals in, by the end of the first chukker the Red was in the lead, 6-4. Cornell never relinquished its lead during the second chukker. In fact, the squad continued to increase its lead as the game played out. By half time, the Red led the Huskies 14-7.

Senior captain Nick Steig, who started for the Red in its season-opener against University of Connecticut, said that the Red is confident in its abilities and anticipates a successful season. (CONNOR ARCHARD / SUN SPORTS PHOTOGRAPHY EDITOR).