WOMEN’S SOCCER | Red Suffers Tough Loss to Harvard

By JOEL COOPER

The Cornell women’s soccer team fell short this weekend, losing, 2-0, to reigning Ivy League champion Harvard. After a slow start to its Ivy League season, losing its opener to Columbia, the Red was looking to build on a strong first half performance against Penn last weekend, where Cornell won, 3-2. However, the Crimson proved too strong and goals in the 31st and 53rd minute left Cornell 1-2-0 in Ivy competition and 7-3-1 overall.

According to senior defender Sydney Cetrullo, the Red came into this weekend’s game after a week of tough training focusing on both learning from the Penn game and cutting out Harvard’s impressive attacking strength.

“In our first half of Penn, we played very well but, going into the second half, we conceded two goals so this week we really focused on playing a complete 90 minutes,” she said. “Harvard is probably the most talented team in the Ivy League in terms of individuals so we also focused on dealing with their offensive threats. One of their girls is on the national team, so that proved a struggle for us.”

Connor Archard / Sun Sports Photography Editor Sophomore Kelsey Tierney had an impressive game in goal, despite the 2-0 loss to the Crimson on Saturday.